All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Software for Metalshaping
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-26-2015, 09:16 AM
MetalShaper of the Month August '15 Jan '17 Dec'17 Aug'19

Default Cad Software packages

Just starting this discussion.

I use Rhinoceros every single day, as a surface modeler. It is free for trial use, cheaper than most to buy, and you can model surfaces way better than a parametric package like solidworks. You also aren't constrained to drawing on a plane or having a history tree recalculate every time you make a modification.

It will handle large point clouds from Scan data, and with a plugin called Grasshopper you can automate alot of things.

What are you guys using to model Car bodies and such and why?
Old 02-26-2015, 09:24 AM
MetalShaper of the Month August '15 Jan '17 Dec'17 Aug'19

Before I bash solidworks too much, it has its place. Every one of my major tools was designed and drawn and cycled in solidworks, then sent directly to my CNC plasma.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.146.jpg (20.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg untitled.99.jpg (25.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 02-26-2015, 01:14 PM

Default Just my words from another mouth.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by toreadorxlt View Post
Just starting this discussion.

I use Rhinoceros every single day, ........ and with a plugin called Grasshopper you can automate alot of things.

What are you guys using to model Car bodies and such and why?

I did some working on AutoCad then Inventor then SolidWorks some years ago and I have been keen on Rhino for some time. I do like SolidWorks but I really do know from seeing Rhino in use its is a cheap one to buy and a blast to use when you have to make a design with free forms (surfaces).

How was your learning curve from using SW to be acquainted with Rhino!!
There is a plus in SW as a construction program and is the training program inside it, is there any similarity in Rhino!! I'm talking about some starter help inside Rhino as it is inside SW.

The Grasshopper thing is something speciale........ just amazing program....

All the best
Orvar Sigfussson
Old 09-29-2015, 03:19 AM

Default Rhino

I had messed around with sketch-up a bit, but I hadn't heard of Rhino before. Looking at the videos on their website, the layout and interface (particularly the 4 view ortho/ 3d) make it look really user friendly. Great 3d rendering, and best of all there is a Mac version (although it doesn't have grasshopper)
ZX636R daily
XT550 basket case
Old 09-29-2015, 04:19 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Steve, as you know, I really like my SolidWorks and it plays a huge part in my current efforts, but I had a hard time with body design, etc. when I have dabbled in it. I may have to investigate Rhino further. I sure appreciate your tips in SolidWorks as it was instrumental in allowing me to be more functional in the Bugatti project for making bucks. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:08 PM

I did this in Solidworks but I would not do another surfacing project that way. I have a trial version of Rhinoceros but have had no time to learn it.

Sauber C9.jpg
Old 09-29-2015, 11:06 PM

Rhino all the way for me. Been using it for years.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:13 AM

I bought this Rhino instructional video set and found it very helpful

http://www.infiniteskills.com/traini...g-rhino-5.html

Unfortunately, Rhino is one of those programs that is so powerful it can only be used for good or evil. As with most complex software that I don't use very frequently I struggle with remembering more than a few basic operations. Luckily, those often get me most of what I want to accomplish since I'm not designing supercar bodies or yacht hulls or athletic shoes.

I've also had Alibre/Geomagic (parametric like SW) for about 10 years and I've liked the product. But they've jacked the yearly maintenance fees up over the last couple of years and I didn't renew a couple of months ago. At least I've got a permanent license so I can continue to use my copy. Rhino includes maintenance with the purchase price, so you buy the version (I started with v3 and now have v5) once and that is it. New versions come out every 3-4 years (or thereabouts) when McNeel decides they've got enough improvements to justify releasing a new version. Geomagic, and I think SW, have a yearly release that may be no more than some bug fixes and minor enhancements.

My upgrade to Rhino 5 three years ago cost me less than one year of GM maintenance now costs and included a lot of nice enhancements. Rhino 6 is having early "work in progress" releases for users to help find issues.

cheers,
Michael
Old 09-30-2015, 06:36 PM

I've used GeoMagic for a few years and it is a good program. However the annual license/maintenance has gotten very pricey.

A new parametric program by Autodesk is available. Autodesk are the AutoCad people so have a long history of robust programs. Their latest parametric product is called FUSION360. I am learning to use it and am very impressed. The interface is very up to date and intuitive.

The price of Fusion 360 is FREE to small users.

Lots of videos on youtube search fusion360
Old 11-11-2015, 05:56 PM

I've been Using Rhino on a Mac as a work in progress for about 4 years now and the full version became available several months ago. Being a Mac user, there isn't much choice for 3D CAD programs (realistically priced that is) other than Cheetah; but that is more for animation than engineering. Both easy to learn the basics and start making shapes and both are well priced.