All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-27-2019, 09:46 AM

Default ReStipple Kick Shrinker Dies

A friend in Canada sent me some Erco 1447 dies to be restippled and rather than my usual source for carbide deposition coating I tried a new company that is much closer to my shop. Very happy with the results. Total cost for a medium stipple on 8 dies was $250. They base it on surface area but that basically amounts to $125 per set. Less for stretch, more for shrink.

Carbide deposition or Rocklinizer as this companies process is, embeds a layer of carbide into the die surface. This has several advantages over just restippling the original dies surface. It builds up the surface instead of it being reduced. The carbide offers much more bite, especially on tough materials. For all but production work it will be the last time the dies will need to be reworked.

The attached photo shows a medium stipple. You can request a fine or course as well. Just as when you restipple the original dies any wear to the surface that leaves it uneven (not flat or square to its movement) must be ground true. These dies were good so the coating was all that was required.

You can source this process locally. Find any company that makes collets or bar grippers. Search for Rocklinizer. This is a standard application to increase gripping power of collets without increasing the gripping force. If there is not one local I can recommend BCI- Baruk Collet Inc. in Westland Michigan.

IMG_6925.jpg

Last edited by galooph; 10-28-2019 at 04:48 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:05 PM

Default stiple

I had access to a Rocklinizer for years and realized it is not magic. When that access went away, I had to improvise. I bought a cheap vibrating engraver and put a broken 1/8" carbide end mill in the chuck. Hook up a car battery to the end mill and your work (+). The electric current will transfer the material and the vibration will keep it from welding to the work.