All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-24-2015, 10:56 AM

Default Chemsharp - tungsten sharpening

Here is an alternative to grinding tungsten. I like to use it when I get new box of tungsten. Pretty quick to do the whole box. I also use the propane torch as in the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSSaJ-Ke7as
Old 10-24-2015, 02:26 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Aug 2016, Feb 2017, Sept 2018, Dec 2020, Aug 2022

Never seen that before - interesting. How well does the tip weld after chemical sharpening? Looks like it might weld well on AC. How about DC? Do you get a nice, tight arc?
Old 10-24-2015, 03:28 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2019

Looks like a whole lot of messing about to me. Been TIG welding for thirty years and never had a problem grinding a tungsten with whatever grinding tool is nearest. Besides, different shape points work best for different jobs so one size for all is less than ideal in my opinion.

Will

William Pointer
Old 10-24-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyBill View Post
Looks like a whole lot of messing about to me. Been TIG welding for thirty years and never had a problem grinding a tungsten with whatever grinding tool is nearest. Besides, different shape points work best for different jobs so one size for all is less than ideal in my opinion.

Will
Agree with that. I honestly can't see the benefits as it looked extremely slow. If anyone was worried about grinding contaminants they'd get a different sort of grinding wheel that was safe to use. I can't see many commercial welding shops adopting a process as slow as that. I bet the fumes off it are pretty nasty as well.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:14 PM

Ditto, way too many steps and prep work to do it. I'll argue my battery powered drill and belt sander does at least as nice a job in a fraction of the time.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:17 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchero50 View Post
Ditto, way too many steps and prep work to do it. I'll argue my battery powered drill and belt sander does at least as nice a job in a fraction of the time.
I keep worn out, 3-inch Roloc discs for tungsten sharpening. They leave a good finish then I arc-up on a piece of scrap to ball the end, scratch the cooled ball on the scrap to be sure it strikes up nicely on the job and we're good to go.
Am I the only guy who touches down or shoves the filler into the tungsten from time to time? I want to be back on with the job quick as I can.

Will

William Pointer
Old 10-24-2015, 08:28 PM

I've been TIG welding for over 40 years. Virtually all the time I need to sharpen a tungsten it is because I screwed-up and touched the puddle and it left a bunch of melted metal all over the end.

I use my 1" X 42" vertical belt sander. Takes all of about 15 seconds to replace the point.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:49 PM

It's sodium nitrate, not exactly a newcomer to the market, it's been around for a while. I know a guy who uses it, it's fast if you use the shorting method, you leave your tungsten in the torch but extend it, and then short it to heat it red hot. Repeated dipping and depth of dip sharpens the angle.

Here's a vid from the manufacturer of the above mentioned product, more than one way to heat the tungsten is described:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drgaJVKxJxw

If you want to try it, there are some concerns out there re: the fumes and possible weld contamination for critical welds.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldtoride View Post
It's sodium nitrate, not exactly a newcomer to the market, it's been around for a while. I know a guy who uses it, it's fast if you use the shorting method, you leave your tungsten in the torch but extend it, and then short it to heat it red hot. Repeated dipping and depth of dip sharpens the angle.

Here's a vid from the manufacturer of the above mentioned product, more than one way to heat the tungsten is described:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drgaJVKxJxw

If you want to try it, there are some concerns out there re: the fumes and possible weld contamination for critical welds.
Almost correct!

It is actually sodium nitrite (NaNO2), not Sodium Nitrate as stated above.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:59 AM

Thank you, big difference after I checked.

Personally, the fume thing stops me from using this, too many air born hazards in a welding environment to begin with.

Last edited by weldtoride; 10-26-2015 at 11:06 AM.