All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-25-2016, 12:32 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by qkiss View Post
Thanks Mike for the input and your interest.
Looking at things from different view points when just learning at times triggers the concept that makes it all fall into place. So I appreciate all you guys for sharing.
(Mike, I love input from anyone with something to offer.... There is always another way to "skin the catfish" - nail it to the board and strip it with visegrips? Please post your thoughts because the input is much appreciated - ............................and please edit that conehead icon..?..... ... I mean - Dude!! )

Steve,
Looking forward to seeing you again.
Welding the .040 6061 is with either tig or gas - depends on the guy welding.... but with tig be sure to look at root side - may need a second pass to withstand the post-weld work with the thrashing hammer....
Name:  6061 root .jpg
Views: 1601
Size:  24.2 KB
(oxy-acet, .040" - 1mm - punished on the thrashing hammer.)

I shrink the T6 - cold, as is. I used to be so respectful of it, and field anneal just so, and quench and go ... but then I guess I got used to having a kid brother around to beat on, and things changed a lot. For the amount of shape you gain by shrinking it is worth the struggle -- and the strength you get is ideal for your task.

What block? bbf is always Holman Moody 427 in my mind .....

yet the drag guys next door pump 9k+ hp now from the billet blocks ....

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.

Last edited by crystallographic; 09-25-2016 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:28 AM
MetalShaper of the Month February 2020

Location: Fortuna California -- up north behind the redwood curtain

Thank you vary much Kent for your time and your willingness to share your knowledge.

Another question I have about the weld is should it be cut down with with a die grinder or sander to reduce the amount of metal being hammered back into the panel causing over stretching ---- or ----- am I overthinking it and it is a non issue.

The block is a later model 429/460 stock cast iron block. It is out of a drag pack car and it has 4 bolt main caps bored .080 over with 4.50 stroke crank.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:51 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by qkiss View Post
Thank you vary much Kent for your time and your willingness to share your knowledge.

Another question I have about the weld is should it be cut down with with a die grinder or sander to reduce the amount of metal being hammered back into the panel causing over stretching ---- or ----- am I overthinking it and it is a non issue.

The block is a later model 429/460 stock cast iron block. It is out of a drag pack car and it has 4 bolt main caps bored .080 over with 4.50 stroke crank.
Glad to help, Steve ....
I always check the root for "stalactites" and these I dress off with some sort of accurate cutter/abrader - before the little band-sanders arrived on the scene we used die grinders, which were not especially smooth-cutting. The band sanders can travel sideways and hold a pretty good level that levels evenly, and level sanding helps evenness of planishing happen.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:42 PM

Thanks again Kent.
I have a have a little band-sander stuck under the bench I never use. Never ued it for weld prep. Time to dig it out and give it a try.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:26 PM

Time to make paper patterns that fits the buck to transfer to aluminum sheet so I cut a piece of the width I wanted.
As I wrapped the paper around the buck huge buckles developed in the paper. It just didn't make sense to me. There wasn't that much shape in that area.
Then I had a A--HA moment. ----- What if I let the paper relax and let it lay flat against the buck ---WOW.
What a difference letting the paper lay where it wanted to lay.
Where it Wraps around the nose there is a parting line on the center line.
This is the lower pattern folded in half.
Making the top was no problem.
Now that it's done that was cool

Last edited by qkiss; 07-08-2017 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:54 AM

I like your A--HA Moment.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:09 AM
MetalShaper of the Month June 2017

Steve very nice work! You are a very talented guy and great job sharing your car build, some how I was able to comprehend what you were accomplishing! haha

Please keep us up to date on the hood scoop, as that will be the crown jewel to an incredible car!
Old 10-22-2016, 02:08 PM

Default Great!

This one is iconic! Very, Very nice. There is one here in CO that the same car is being turned into an itch mobile and I want to cry every time I pass his place.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:19 PM

Thanks guys for the positive comments. Glad to see you are on this sight Dave. A lot of talented helpful people here.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:15 AM

Steve, are you going to Santa Cruz next week? The hood blister would be a great show and tell item.