All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-20-2014, 03:56 PM

Default Cross Folds or Diamond folds.

This may really a simple question and answer, but buggered if I know how to do it.
How do you make the folds like a shallow cross or diamond pattern that peak , like they do on Oil storage Tanks or A/C ducts.
Tried seaching for it on the net, but I don't even know the proper terminology for the procedure.
I had a bit of go, and really distorted the panel, with no peak, so I'm not doing it right.
I have a Magna Bender and maybe that it not suitable for what I need to do.
Hope this makes sense.
John
Old 11-20-2014, 04:31 PM

Default Diamond pattern

Google "quilted sheet metal". It's done with a press brake. Leaf brake will will flatten the folds.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
Google "quilted sheet metal". It's done with a press brake. Leaf brake will will flatten the folds.
John! that's not what I'm referring to, I can do these on the bead roller.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:44 PM

I made some panels for behind the pot rack that had this shall we say quilted diamond pattern . I like the look of valleys and gentle mounds as oppose to the peaks so I ran opposite side out .
What I did was lay out lines on sheet at bend points, and bent it in a apron break along the lines just enough to get crease , probably set for tight radius. The sheet will curl . When first all of one bend are in turn sheet to appropriate angle and put the rest in. It will be a got fight to get it back in ,and may require manually working it some what flatter .
The 2" ? opening / clamping of the apron break is a big aid. It will not lay flat when done . I bent flanges on the four sides and put plywood in to back the ..020" ? stainless .
Quilted stainless is stunning .
Old 11-20-2014, 05:33 PM
Metal Shaper of the Month, April 2011, December 2012, May 2016

In the ductwork shops I worked in they were called cross brakes. They were made in an apron brake.

www.markgoodenough.com
Old 11-21-2014, 03:08 AM

The lower apron handles on the folder are held out at the bottom with a spacer like a brick or a block of timber. this creates a slight Vee on the folder. The sheet corners are the lined up with the vee, and the top clamp on the folder is then clamped down on the sheet. The sheet is then rotated , and clamped across the other direction, to make the cross brake.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark g View Post
In the ductwork shops I worked in they were called cross brakes. They were made in an apron brake.
Hi Mark! This is what I'm after, I now know what there called, but not much info on how to do them. Plenty of info if you want to do them in CAD software.

Is there any way I can make these without a apron break.

Regards John
Old 11-22-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldnek View Post
Hi Mark! This is what I'm after, I now know what there called, but not much info on how to do them. Plenty of info if you want to do them in CAD software.

Is there any way I can make these without a apron break.

Regards John
John, they can be achieved on any kind of folding machine whether it's a pan folder, fixed beam or a press brake but the second press will always have a slight flattening effect on the first fold. You just need to ensure that you have slightly more definition on the first fold so that it equals out with the second one.

Hope that helps.

Gareth
Old 11-22-2014, 08:26 AM
Metal Shaper of the Month, April 2011, December 2012, May 2016

Can you tip the dies forward on a Magnabender so they press down just out at the bending point? That may lessen the flattening tendency of the dies on the second bend. I've also used a tipping wheel in a English wheel to make these. In my case I used a soft urethane lower wheel with a knife edged upper wheel. I've made them freehand with a small, narrow, hand held roller like a miniature heavy duty pizza cutter using a strip of something that lifts the metal off the table surface slightly. That approach takes a steady hand to keep the line straight.

www.markgoodenough.com