All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-22-2016, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxakarudy View Post
Hi Jason,
Are you wheeling the panel face up at all times?
No, when I was wheeling the outer edge I had it flipped upside down to match the radius of the lower wheel.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:46 AM

Thanks Jim for the support and to everyone for the tips. I tipped the top edge over where it will meet the car but I don't think that was a good idea. Now the shape is trapped and the 1" fender edge band won't curve and follow the buck. It laid alot better without the top edge tipped over. I may flatten it out and wheel it smooth and see where that takes me. At this point Im' just trying things. I've got nothing to lose. I took the buck off the car and made a stand for it so I could see better and also to let me try the fender on the car. I tipped the 1" band over near the wheel side and tried to shrink that edge to control the general shape and restore it. With the top edge tipped like I did the whole panel has lost any hope to sitting on the car. HEre's the pics. I'm going to try more tomorrow. If I do separate panels to achieve the shapes easier, then the welding part of it turns it to shit. I don't know if i'm better to try one piece or multi piece.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:16 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Jason ...
One piece for sure ...... and no heat;....there is no need for it
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Old 05-23-2016, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Tommasini View Post
Jason ...
One piece for sure ...... and no heat;....there is no need for it
Peter
I'm going to continue finishing all the remaining steps in order to learn from this piece. I wheeled out the tipped top edge and it now sits good again. I tipped the 1" lower band over with a tipping wheel I modified from my cheap bead roller I picked up. I shrunk the edge and trimmed it back a bit too. It's not horrible. I'm going to do the wire edge tomorrow and my screw flats also. Here's what it looked like:
Old 05-23-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
It's not horrible.
I agree Jason. I'll bet you learned a lot while working this panel.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:05 AM

So I made another buck for the other side, and cut a pattern with slits showing where shrinking/stretching occurs blah blah etc..
I have all the same problems I did the first time. I'm frustrated and mad at myself because I haven't learned where to improve or how to achieve certain results. I made my second attempt with one piece and followed the advice from the guys here.
Issues: too curved at the top and sitting away from buck (depending on how your hold the panel up to the buck I guess)
-not sitting down in the valley center line running full length of panel horizontally
-too bulbus/high at the body line edge where it meets the tire
-each side where the fender ends panel won't lay down, bounces away.

I don't know if that makes sense but I stretched the shit out of the edge. Maybe not far enough down into the panel. According to my paper there wasn't alot of material needing to move but what do I know. I must be missing something. After I stretch the edge is there something else I must do in order for the panel to lay into the valley or concave zone? Because the whole over all shape is curved like a "C" it wants to resist lying in the valley. Please help

and the buck in case you forgot the shape:
Old 05-29-2016, 02:49 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2019

here goes!

i would suggest focusing on one edge at a time! basically the edge that meets the car body (inner edge), forget the outer edge for now. when wheeling the inner edge try not to use too much pressure, as it is now and 'sitting up' not touching the body, try to wheel it but pull up on the outer edge side of the panel (see pic), that should bring your edge closer to the body

hope that makes sense, if anyone else can shed some light on this of a better way to try, please chime in it will help me too lol

panel111.jpg

Last edited by Steve Hamilton; 05-29-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:18 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtersweeper View Post
So I made another buck for the other side, and cut a pattern with slits showing where shrinking/stretching occurs blah blah etc..
I have all the same problems I did the first time. I'm frustrated and mad at myself because I haven't learned where to improve or how to achieve certain results. I made my second attempt with one piece and followed the advice from the guys here.
Issues: too curved at the top and sitting away from buck (depending on how your hold the panel up to the buck I guess)
-not sitting down in the valley center line running full length of panel horizontally
-too bulbus/high at the body line edge where it meets the tire
-each side where the fender ends panel won't lay down, bounces away.

I don't know if that makes sense but I stretched the shit out of the edge. Maybe not far enough down into the panel. According to my paper there wasn't alot of material needing to move but what do I know. I must be missing something. After I stretch the edge is there something else I must do in order for the panel to lay into the valley or concave zone? Because the whole over all shape is curved like a "C" it wants to resist lying in the valley. Please help

and the buck in case you forgot the shape:
First picture.... where you got your BBB start stretching from the top of your BBB and increase the pressure while working your way towards the outer edge as you are coming out towards the edge and stretching the s**t... out of it bent the panel on the wheel two ways ....towards the top wheel and lightly downwards with you other hand.
SO.... if you right handed...... left hand up ..towards the top wheel (as if you raping the panel around the top wheel ) right hand downwards, not to much at one time just a little at the time...What that does allow you to use the stretch metal that you create and give it the length that you need to go around the wanted area.... (let's call that the quarter side) But that is not all you need to stretch the bulbous shape at the bottom( that is the out side of your wheel arch ...What that does....between stretching the inside (quarter panel side) and the out side (wheel arch side)
it's helping you create the return in the middle. All that the middle area needs is a bit of wheeling with very low pressure to blend and smooth things off. ....USE YOUR BUCK in order to know where you need stretching
in another words.... if the out side of the flair (quarter side) and the inside(wheel arch side ) are touching but the middle is not..... ???? Well.... as you raise the bulbous shape.... and stretch the outer edge again you will find that eventually the middle will drop down as well
Peter
PS Do not get frustrate... these returns are not easy, and it takes a while to learn them, but once you understand the theory behind
them they will get easier and easier. And one more tip....Do most of the stretching with a proper blocking hammer, then go on the wheel.... what ever you are using on the picture N 1/2 ....it's not stretching equally and marking the metal to much.

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM

Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 05-29-2016 at 03:29 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:31 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2019

how have you been getting on Jason?
Old 06-04-2016, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilb View Post
how have you been getting on Jason?
Hey, thanks for asking. To be honest, the last couple of days have left me feeling discouraged. I'm not giving up, it's all new to me so I don't know if trying something is going to give me good results, and in the case of preforming alot of stretching I'M spending lots of time trying something and not sure if it's even taking me in the right direction. However, tonight was a bit of a breakthrough as I attached the first side with clecos, and made a screw dimple tool which works mint! Pics:

Beyond that side, i've been hammering the other side about 75mm in from the top side and trying to get it to lay flatter on the buck. Also wheeling it while applying upwards pressure to keep it from bending over. It does seem to lay flatter but since I've stretched the panel length-wise in addition to outwards to accomplish the curve repair, the over all panel fights the reverse zone where it will tip over and meet the wheel. It's not bad for the second try, and full piece at that. No pic, but I'm going to tip the body line, and finish the wire edge and hopefully mount it tomorrow. I'll be back