All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-21-2012, 11:46 PM

Default Hammer form radius depth

On a medium radius in a hammer form, what is a reasonable depth to bend .060 aluminum over the form?
Old 02-22-2012, 02:25 AM
Administrator

Mike, without some more detail on what you are doing we can't really give you a good answer. That question is about the same as, Do you think this string will be long enough. It is a very open ended question.

What alloy are you using? Where is the radius, inside, outside or over the edge of the hammer form? Define medium radius, have no idea what that means. Do you have a picture or drawing of what you are trying to make? Depending on what you are trying to make if you do some prestretching or shrinking you can do more with the panel.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:13 PM

Sorry Joe. Here's the project. I would like to build a snorkel type air cleaner. Material 3003 .060 aluminum. The radius would be that of a 10 or 11 inch circle that would make up the back of the lid. The front would be open and square. I guess where I'm going with this is how deep could the lid be without welding a spacer in?
Old 02-22-2012, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Mike, if I understand what you want to do is have about 180 degrees of a 10" circle with a tipped side down on the outside. The sides would be bent down at 90 degrees and the front is square. I assume this is the top part of the air cleaner. If this is correct how long would you like the sides to be? Do you have a way to shrink the metal along the curved side. The longer the side the more shrink you will need. You can do an inch or so without a lot of problem in a hammer form. If it is longer you will need to do some shrinking with something other than on the hammer form.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:54 PM

Default hammerform

What I have learned is that you can turn 3/8 - 1/2 inch really easiely. after that you run into a can of worms. See if you can break your part into simpler shapes. Top dome and edges turned to the shape you need, sides formed then welded to top probably with flange feet to attach. After you force a hard panel into being from one piece you should quickly learn why the pro's look at how to break things into simplier shapes. then weld them together.IMHO
Old 02-23-2012, 12:01 AM
Administrator

Michael, This is a shape that would be a lot easier to make from several parts and weld them together. He ask how to do it without welding a spacer in. It will take a lot more time to make it in one piece but if he was successful it would be a great learning experience for him. I would make it in several pieces if I was going to make it.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:23 AM

The filter would be about 3 inches high. Some of the difference can be made up in the base. I was just wondering how realistic it would be to try to make once piece.

Yes, I do have a Shrinker/stretcher.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:50 AM
Administrator

Shrinking a curved edge 3" deep at 90 degrees is very tough and time consuming. If you had an Eckold with nomar dies or ever a deep throat shrinker it would be easier but would still take some time.

If you had a picture or drawing of exactly what you wanted to make it would be helpful. What I think you want may be totally different than what you think. Do you just want the top to be aluminum?

Old 02-23-2012, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

I'm not seeing it either. Can you sketch something out and post a photo?
Old 02-23-2012, 10:13 AM

Default Filters

WELL I HAVE MADE A DOZEN OR MORE FILTERS WITH 4"" SIDES , SOME LONGER JUST CUT OUT YOUR DISC, OUT OF 18 ga CR, LARGER THAN YOU NEED , PUT HER THE PULLMAX, SHRINK THE SIDES DOWN TO THE SIZE YOU WANT ,WHEEL THE WRINKLES OUT , DOME THE TOP ON A PLANISHING HAMMER AND YOUR DONE IN 5 HRS READY FOR THE DA SANDER, , BUT YOUR FIRST ONE WILL TAKE YOU LONGER, TILL YOU GET THE HANG OF IT <<<