All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Beginner Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-28-2018, 04:28 PM

Default Power disconnect plate: pressing & shrinking

Hey guys,
Here's a pretty basic pressing and shrinking of some metal I did recently for a switch plate.

The new power disconnect switch needed more room in the box for the electrical terminals, so I decided to press a new mounting plate that gave more room. Since it is a 1 time part, the tooling consisted of a piece of 2.5 square tubing and some 2" round shaft. After pressing the depression I did some hammering to shrink the edges and then some trimming. Then I made the final mounting arm for the power box with some bend tubing and gussets. Now it can be adjusted for position by loosening the lock bolts and rotating it as necessary.

https://youtu.be/DwbMFRD_sOw

It was a good learning project to see how much the material can move around, and I was able to apply much of what I've learned from reading the informative posts on this site.
The shrinking didn't get as smooth as it could have, but most of it got trimmed away.
I used the flat face of a ball pein hammer, and some C-clamps to the table to keep the tuck from expanding.

Eastern South Dakota (work & home)

Researching sheetmetal shaping and forming, starting to buy the tools and practice the techniques

My shop projects: www.kustomsbykent.com