All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-28-2020, 04:52 PM

Default Navigational Regions?

Kent:
I really enjoy lurking and watching! Are the blue tape lines to delineate areas of lofting/valleys? Alternatively, are they paths for stretching? If I'm close on purpose, how do you delineate their locations? Good to know you are reaching the final 90%!
Old 05-28-2020, 05:58 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglefordracer View Post
Kent:
I really enjoy lurking and watching! Are the blue tape lines to delineate areas of lofting/valleys? Alternatively, are they paths for stretching? If I'm close on purpose, how do you delineate their locations? Good to know you are reaching the final 90%!

Tape lines = my own topographic "read" of the terrain, a fenced limit of adequately-worked contour adjoining the "insufficiently worked." With more lines added rather than moved.
At the end of final 90% the tapes are cleaned off as the last of the straggling accuracies coalesce.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:44 AM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

I once saw something similar in a Czech film. His name is "Jáchyme, hoď ho do stroje " .
Mr. Koudelka is in love and knocked the rivet a little more.
It is a parody from an ancient time when there were no parts in the carservice and nothing went normally. It's our humor - a thoughtful parody of not gags. Many people found their person in the film.

Kent, I think you should succeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGjBlwHvs0Y
Old 05-29-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroslav View Post
I once saw something similar in a Czech film. His name is "Jáchyme, hoď ho do stroje " .
Mr. Koudelka is in love and knocked the rivet a little more.
It is a parody from an ancient time when there were no parts in the carservice and nothing went normally. It's our humor - a thoughtful parody of not gags. Many people found their person in the film.

Kent, I think you should succeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGjBlwHvs0Y

Thanks Jaro,
I wish that film were on DVD with English subtitles ...
The French film "Dinner Game" is funny, too - as well as the Australian, "The Castle" - but neither one is about shop guys.

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:39 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Uncle Bud says 'nice thread'. He says that he continues to learn.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHillWill View Post
Uncle Bud says 'nice thread'. He says that he continues to learn.

Please give Uncle Bud my best.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:36 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
Forgot to include the basic twisted ribbon shape.

Attachment 56517

This is just a 2in wide X 36 long piece of .050 3003, marked lengthwise for two working widths of one-third total width, each. These edges are hammered consistently one end to the other, matching each other. The center one third is pretty much untouched. If your hammer blows are evenly spaced, evenly struck, and numerically match one side to the other then your twist will be even.

If not, then you get odd.

(ps, if you scrutineer closely you see one black center line .... I just eyeball off of the centerline for my thirds as I go. )
Hi,

I found this post intriguing, I used 2 1/2" wide x 20" long, .060" 3003 marked as you described above. It is a great exercise in hammer control and die selection.
20200601_181159.jpg
20200601_181231.jpg

With odd or excessive hit's on one side verse the other, it would easily skew the part. I corrected it by adjusting the form, with one end in a vise and the other end in a wide blade vise grip and twist.. I was able to go a full 180 deg twist, before I ran out of time at the shop today.

It really high lights the issues you can have with tool control, especially on large panels, where you can't adjust the form as easy, with a pliers and a vise. When I have a little more time, I will go for a full 1 turn twist

Bill

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.

Last edited by BTromblay; 06-01-2020 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTromblay View Post
Hi,

I found this post intriguing, I used 2 1/2" wide x 20" long, .060" 3003 marked as you described above. It is a great exercise in hammer control and die selection.
Attachment 56561
Attachment 56562

With odd or excessive hit's on one side verse the other, it would easily skew the part. I corrected it by adjusting the form, with one end in a vise and the other end in a wide blade vise grip and twist.. I was able to go a full 180 deg twist, before I ran out of time at the shop today.

It really high lights the issues you can have with tool control, especially on large panels, where you can't adjust the form as easy, with a pliers and a vise. When I have a little more time, I will go for a full 1 turn twist

Bill
Interesting exercise
Think I may try it
I wonder how it will come out with 20ga.????
Old 06-01-2020, 09:33 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

"Upon further review" like Bob Uecker of the Milwaukee Brewers baseball would say, I have more to correct on my panel. A cross section cut of my part would show a curve, instead of a straight. It took several re-reads of the post, to catch this detail.

More to do and learn.

B

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTromblay View Post
"Upon further review" like Bob Uecker of the Milwaukee Brewers baseball would say, I have more to correct on my panel. A cross section cut of my part would show a curve, instead of a straight. It took several re-reads of the post, to catch this detail.

More to do and learn.

B

Nice effort, Wm.
Here is an image that represents the shape accurately, using linear elements.
P1030993 copy copy.jpg