All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-24-2020, 08:06 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

The 'mountain' car is on hold, waiting for the sandblast / soda blast guy to open up his shop.

Kerry, Steve: The following is info about the cars discussed in this thread, but if you think that it is to far 'left of center' feel free to modify/delete it.

Hey Pugsy: Here is some information that might be helpful for you in making decisions about what type of suspension to use. Everything that I worked on in the race cars was independent front suspension and a rear end housing assembly retained by a pan hard rod.These 'sketches' are part of a vehicle dynamics project that I have been working on for many years and were used as guidelines for both the 'mountain' car and the narrow Talladega car.

The first three 'sketches' will be helpful in determining the center of gravity. In cornering, the G-forces will tend to make the CG rotate around the roll axis. (Fig.#19). The front and rear heights of the roll axis are determined by the roll center heights at each end. CG height/location can be determined by (Fig.#15). Front roll center height can be determined in accordance with (Fig.#16). On the solid axle/pan hard rod design, the roll center height is the center point of the pan hard rod, left to right.

This information is more dependable/useable if the frame is more stable/rigid. (Fig.#12A) is the method that I used to measure the torsional rigidity on both of the cars in this post. PM or email me if I can help.

Name:  Susp3.jpg
Views: 2116
Size:  44.4 KB

Name:  Susp2.jpg
Views: 1559
Size:  38.1 KB

Name:  Susp4.jpg
Views: 1470
Size:  40.0 KB

Name:  Susp1.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  40.7 KB

Last edited by RockHillWill; 04-24-2020 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:18 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Thanks Will.
I do have a program for the computer, but not all this info is available.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 04-29-2020, 12:17 PM

Got out of the house, put on my mask, and went to Bills shop to deliver some pieces that I cut for him and got some pictures of some of the components that he has worked on so far.

Name:  IMG_2462.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  75.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2463.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  75.3 KB
Old 05-24-2020, 01:37 PM

Will
Those drawings are great stuff, it stimulates the brain. I love the old NASCAR racing. The new stuff is too regulated, no room for individual innovation; although they are certainly well designed. Design wise they have all evolved to be very close to each other. Engineering of new cars has brought new cars to be almost all alike. , They all look alike where the older cars had their own look and design. Thanks for the pictures and drawings
Ed
Old 05-24-2020, 02:27 PM

Thanks, Ed.

There has been some current interest in this 'old' book recently. I thought that I had all the pages on file on my computer, but a 'crash' issue a number of years back, lost me some of my CAD files, but I have just received one of my older copies, so I will be 'updating' that chassis book when the 'story' book that I am working on is done. One or two of these drawings is going to be in the 'story' book in a story about a 'thin' car that I built that recent research showed was the worlds fastest stock car for three years.

The 'mountain' car has been completely stripped now, and all the suspension has been restored and painted. They are waiting for the sand blaster/media blaster to get caught up on his backlog.

Last edited by RockHillWill; 05-24-2020 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:31 PM

Bill Rhine called me today to tell me that they are getting the car ready to take the car to the sandblasters tomorrow. It looks like things might be starting back up. He said that he has contacted the painters and made arrangements to take it to them when it gets back from the sandblasters.

He said pictures will be coming soon.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:54 PM

YouTube video of Mike Brewer visiting Bill Rhine
collection of old NASCAR favorites:

https://youtu.be/R7Clj1JRdfE
Old 08-01-2020, 01:28 PM

That was interesting Tom.

Bill told me last week that the mountain car was still at the body shop. I am getting excited to take a look at it. Bill said that they have most of the suspension items cleaned and painted and ready to install once they get it back.

I have built race cars that Bill Blair, Jr. built the motors for and have worked with Tex Powell over the years. He is an excellent fabricator and does/did? most of the transmission and rear end gears for the NASCAR guys. They are both highly regarded gentlemen.

Thanks for the post.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:10 PM

Got a call from Bill this morning. The painters have repaired the shop water damage and the car is in primer and ready to apply the Jolly Rancher colors. It looks like things might be getting back on track.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:00 PM

IT'S DONE!!! They have been pulling my leg for some time now.

Peggy and I were invited to attend a 2-day test event at the 2.7 mile Kershaw, S.C. road course, and today was the first of those 2-days. When we pulled up all the guys started gathering around and they pulled the cover off the restored 'mountain car'.

I've got to admit, I was pretty teary-eyed, and had NO expectation that it was anywhere near being completed. Bill Rhine and his guys did an EXCELLANT job of bringing it back to it's original condition. It was the first car that I built with the dual 'Y' front suspension clip, and that is what drew Bills attention to the car in the first place.

He has been holding back on the restoration pictures, but said that he would forward them to me soon. More pics to follow.

Name:  wccover6.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  52.4 KB

Name:  wccover1.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  69.3 KB

Name:  wccover17.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  45.9 KB

Name:  wccover14.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  48.9 KB

Name:  wccover27.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  48.8 KB

Name:  wccover34.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  59.6 KB

Last edited by Steve Hamilton; 10-21-2020 at 07:08 PM.