All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Beginner Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-20-2018, 05:43 AM

Default Austin 7

Hi,
I would like to thank the many contributors to this forum who have unknowingly helped me with the problems encountered when building my first project. The finished article is far from perfect and no doubt would have anybody who knows what they are doing to say “why did he do it that way?”
I tried to keep straight panels wherever possible. I had a good friend make the nose cone and give me help and encouragement with the tail.
Points learned;
Make a sketch of what the finished item will look like no matter how rough. I cannot sketch so spent a lot of time with pieces of paper, thin plywood and fence wire. I had to make many mock-ups.
Try and think how all the various panels will attach to the chassis/framework. As this was my first project I had great difficulty with this, I only thought of one panel at a time.
Have a go. No matter how daunting, once a start has been made things seem not so stressful. It’s too late to change your mind.
Don’t work when too tired. A have a few mirror image panel blanks as well as pieces with flanges bent the wrong way.
Have a system for storing tools and equipment in use. I lost a lot of time looking for tools I had just put down! In defence I have a very small working space and have to stack thing on top of each other. I usually only get a couple of hours working time, 3 times a week.
Gas welding aluminium is tricky but definitely within the capabilities of anyone with some welding experience. I think I last gas welded 40 years ago and do not have TIG facilities. A good extraction system is needed to stop everything getting a surface coating of rust. Plenty of practice is still needed to get a good finish.
You don’t need a vast array of tools. To make the body I bought a small hand shrinker and a cheap set of swaging rolls, suitably modified as advised by forum members. I also made a wheeling machine with a huge debt of gratitude to Kerry Pinkerton. A couple of hammers and dollies were bought on ebay and the usual bits and pieces found in the garage were pressed into service. All bending was done using angle iron and clamps. The louvres were made using a wood chisel and a wooden form tool. They are a bit rough but it is meant to be a 30’s race car anyway!
I hope this encourages other to have a go. The next project is a 1932 Hotchkiss special but that should keep me busy for a few years.

Brussels 058.JPG
Steve
Old 02-20-2018, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Steve, the only thing wrong I see is that you only posted the completed photo.

Seriously, folks learn when they watch people work THROUGH their mistakes and problems. If you have more in process photos, post them with the explanation, warts, screwups, and all.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:12 AM

Hi Kerry,
Point taken. I have very few photographs of the build but one that may interest is I made a tail before I had the wheeling machine and although it fitted it was like a walnut. It did point to the fact that the tail sat too high at the rear end. I made another tail but this time using the wheeling machine and a lot of advise from a friend. With my usual calibrated eyeball I estimated how far the tail should be extended. When the finished article was fitted it looked like the car had had a serious rear end collision. I was unsure of making another tail that would fit so I marked a line parallel to the groung and cut off the lower section of the tail. I made two panels that were welded together and the assembly joined to the original tail with aluminium rivits. Some louvres were added to break up the flat surface. The photo shows the tail before cutting and a mock-up on the far side. The finished article is as the first photo
Stevedownload 22 086.jpg
Old 02-20-2018, 08:57 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Great to see what you've accomplished, Steve- especially with simple tools and small space.

I very much like that you look to have retained wire wheels with real knock-offs. To me, a lot of "specials" are immediately betrayed by the use of wheels that are too modern for the build theme. Will it be painted or remain as bare metal? What about badging?

Bet it's fun to drive. Have you had any road time in it yet?
Old 02-20-2018, 10:14 AM
MetalShaper of the Month June 2018

I love it. What's the engine ? more pix as well please.

Regards Mick
Old 02-20-2018, 10:41 AM

Hi Cliffrod and Mick
thanks for the fine comments. All the main parts are from the early 1930's mostly Austin 7 but the wheels and hubs are from a 30's MG. The engine is the standard Austin 7 750cc flathead that produced about 13bhp. The engine has been tuned to run on methanol and a pre-war supercharger fitted. Thi should take the power up to about 70bhp. The gearbox has been modified to take the extra power. My body building skills are such that it will be very definitely painted; I have to cover up the poor welding somehow. I find a big difference welding 1.2mm aluminium as opposed to 1.5mm. I hope to get the car totally finished and running by the end of April. As you can see it is a tight squeeze to get all the parts in with such a small space. The weel base is only 80 inches. The body mock up was to try and get as slim a profile as possible. I think that was mark 3 and I went to mark 5 before being saisfied.

Rome 367.jpg
Old 02-20-2018, 11:14 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2015

I love it!

Don't believe everything you think.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:21 AM

That's cool, where are you going to race it ? Here's an Austin 7 Ulster at the Chateau in 2015.
DSC_0511.jpg

Regards Mick
Old 02-21-2018, 02:18 AM

Hi Michael,
I hope to race it mainly in Scotland but with retirement looming I may brave it and head down to England. I have posted a picture of my present car which has a beautiful body built by Dave Gregson in Stockport.

dsc01726_75 stephen smith austin 7 special.jpg
Steve

Last edited by Steve Hamilton; 02-21-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:31 AM

Nice looking car Steve, the only track we ever get to north of the border is Knockhill for the BSB.

Regards. Mick