All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Beginner Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-08-2015, 06:26 AM

Did you see the dvd of Ronn Covell (building gas tanks) or the dvd of David Gardnier metalshapingzone.....

Regards Wesley

http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=10133
Old 12-08-2015, 12:55 PM

I forgot to mention I like your buck.

Like AllyBill mentioned use 1100 X.050 to make your first tank outer portion. Learn what steps are necessary to get the tank you are after (even the welding and finishing). By doing that you will find out what tools are required and what tools you need to add to arsenal.

Once you are satisfied with your skills, then make your final piece using 14ag. for the inside and no less than 16ga. for the outer. If it were a Harley I'd say 14ga. all the way.

Jere
Teaching The Fundamentals of Metal Shaping
www.jerekirkpatrick.com

All tools are a hammer except the chisel.....That's a screwdriver.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:59 PM
MetalShaper of the Month July 2017, Sept 2022

Default Plan of attack

Thanks for encouragement and advice. Here's the piece I'm starting on outlined in red. I taped on paper and trimmed to roughly the red line. Then add about 1/2 inch all around the perimeter to make pattern for metal. I have a piece of 20 g steel right now just to practice.

My approach is the blue area I think should be neither shrunk or stretched. The area to either side need to be stretched in the long directions to make sort of reverse curve panel and the yellow area need shrinking on the edges to make the forward dome. I've also seen the approach where you'd shrink the blue are and stretch outside of it but I wonder if that's necessary? Thoughts, suggestions?

Capture1.JPG
Old 12-08-2015, 03:18 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2019

Jeff,

Mock it up in cardboard as these two shapes and you'll find you need very little shape around the edges to get it to lie right. Once it's welded and behaving as one you ought to be able to finish it by hand quite easily with very basic tools.

Motorcycle Tank Buck Shapes.jpg

Will

William Pointer
Old 12-08-2015, 04:23 PM

Default Aluminum vs steel

What factors do you consider in deciding whether to use aluminum or steel for a tank like this?
Old 12-08-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyBill View Post
Jeff,

Mock it up in cardboard as these two shapes and you'll find you need very little shape around the edges to get it to lie right. Once it's welded and behaving as one you ought to be able to finish it by hand quite easily with very basic tools.

Attachment 35297

Will
Thanks, I'll give it shot if I can't make headway with the practice panel I have started.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmanred View Post
What factors do you consider in deciding whether to use aluminum or steel for a tank like this?
Personal preference really. I don't like steel. It's dirty and stiff compared to most aluminium but it's easier for beginners to heat-shrink and weld.
Soft aluminium can be worked by hand yet have lots of strength once you give it shape but welding and shrinking it is a little more interesting.
It just depends what you are comfortable with because it will look just the same once you have painted it.

Will

William Pointer
Old 12-08-2015, 10:13 PM

Default So far

Practicing in 20 g steel because I had it laying around. I can't quite get the belly to suck up to the buck like I want it to, it's still almost an inch away where most other areas it's within 1/2 inch. I followed plan I outlined above, or at least tried to. It seems close but it's already really thin on the bottom edge. The middle 4 inches is removed from the buck so it looks skinny right now.

IMG_0637.jpg
Old 12-09-2015, 06:35 AM

That's quite a big ask of a single piece of 20swg if you've not made that shape before. It will be stretched thin and getting hard now but it's also taught you a bit about the material.
Try it in two pieces. Get the first one how you want it then drill some small holes in it and screw it to the buck (you can weld them up later) then make the second piece fit neatly and do the same, then weld the parts together. Make them tight rather than baggy so that the weld shrinkage tightens them further then you can stretch with hammer and dolly out to the intended shape.

Will

Edited.JPG

William Pointer
Old 12-09-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyBill View Post
That's quite a big ask of a single piece of 20swg if you've not made that shape before. It will be stretched thin and getting hard now but it's also taught you a bit about the material.
Try it in two pieces. Get the first one how you want it then drill some small holes in it and screw it to the buck (you can weld them up later) then make the second piece fit neatly and do the same, then weld the parts together. Make them tight rather than baggy so that the weld shrinkage tightens them further then you can stretch with hammer and dolly out to the intended shape.

Will

Attachment 35311
You're right, it's pretty thin on the edges already. I'll try two pieces next for this area. If I can't get that work I'll make a new buck with a less extreme shape in the area. It would add a bit volume to the tank too, less stops for gas . Thanks for guidance.

This is a great website, like a virtual classroom.