All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-28-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe-Wood View Post
Jesse-
They call it silicosis (sp) but I don't know if you could get enough dust from a sealed beater bag to cause problems....
That's the problem. Know one knows the limits and I would assume everyone is different.

Can I use silica to blast parts twice a year and be safe??? Who knows. I would diffidently look into a fresh air respirator if I used it daily.

I would think a bag would be safe unless you had some serious leaking and used it all day long. You could always set up a fan to blow any dust (lead or sand) away from you.

C
hris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service

Old 05-29-2010, 11:36 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

In hindsight I realized I should have shown the underside of the sandbag I mounted on a 2” by 4”. It’s not something I use every day but when I need to get into the corner of a fender or whatever it works excellent because there’s no exposed seams standing proud on the outside of the bag. The bag overhangs the end of the 2” by 4” on all 3 sides so I can push panels into the bag and hammer against it. Being I can mount it offset to the edge of my work bench allows fenders to hang on it in a way that I can use the weight of the fender to hold itself against the bag. Like I said it’s not something I use every day but at times it does work excellent.
fficeffice" />>!1sb504.jpg

!1sb505.jpg

!1sb500.jpg>

I started out with sand in my bags and then switched over to fine steel shot, they both seem to work OK with no noticeable differences in shaping ability. Eventually I switched back to sand in my bigger black bag, the shot was just too heavy. The sand makes silicon dust and eventually the steel shot starts making rust dust so I guess stainless shot would be the ultimate except it’s so expensive ($18 to $24 a pound) and I figure I need 40 plus pounds for my bigger bag. Meanwhile I’m waiting for one of you guys to come up with a more reasonable solution and someone who does custom leather work for my next bag. Thanks ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 06-01-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 convert View Post
when you say white sand I think it maybe silica sand and if it is I believe it is known to cause lung problems. if i am off base correct me, just trying to keep it safe
Jesse

I just looked at the left-over bag and it says it is extrafine playground sand, and its' contents are 'sand'
I'm just being a smartass Jesse, i think all sand contains large amount of silicates.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:27 PM

It would seem to me that the amount of dust you could create in a beater bag would be negligible, especially when compared to grinding/welding operations. Certainly sandblasting, even in a cabinet would create exponentially more dust.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:33 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov 2020

Why not just do away with the large shot bag. I havent used mine for 8 or 9 years. The stump hollows will do everything you can do with the bag. And eaiser for there isn't anything under the part your stretching.

I do use a hand held mini bag some though. For stretching welded seams on panels.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:21 AM

I got mine made,and ended up using play sand.So far I like it,I did pack it looser then the one my buddy has that I wasn't impressed with.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:01 AM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Glad you got it sorted Ryan. just as a by the by we call them sandbags over here and no-one I know of uses shot. It costs way to much and we don't have guns here so it is not easily available.

David

All things are possible.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:02 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

David, you can generally buy steel shot quite reasonably from commercial blasting companies. Put it in a medium to large sized bag and it gets awfully heavy, that however can be an advantage with smaller bags you’re trying to use to keep panels from moving. I remember a few years ago someone mentioned that they were eliminating lead bird shot because the duck hunters were poisoning the lakes, is that true ? ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 06-07-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buchtenkirch View Post
I remember a few years ago someone mentioned that they were eliminating lead bird shot because the duck hunters were poisoning the lakes, is that true ? ~ John Buchtenkirch
Yes. In MN the DNR (Dept. of Natural Resources) banned lead shot for hunting migratory waterfowl in the mid. 80's (1986-ish).

C
hris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service

Old 06-07-2010, 02:26 PM

As I recall (it was 4 years ago) I paid less than a dollar a pound for the steel shot in my bag.....Seems to me it was around $20 for 25 pounds.

The extra weight is a hassle when the bag is not in use, but it doesn't wander around when I'm beating on it!