All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-28-2013, 03:09 PM

Thanks for helping a novice. Maybe thin wire does the trick for us. I normally cut a small strip of the sheet but this strip is never that small.

To get the gap as small as possible I tried something new last week. Actually my son did come up with it. We were trying out a plasma cutter and turned the tip back on the lathe so we could follow the contour of the sheet we wanted to fit up for welding.

We cut the first panel with normal snips or an electric snip and put it on the second panel. Then we add approx the half of the tip diameter plus the cut width and trace it with the plasma cutter. Every bump is copied to the second panel and we end up with an almost perfect fit.

It's still a bit new to us so no real experience with the imoact of the plasma cutting. Oxidation, polution, etc.

Grt

Frank
Old 06-12-2015, 09:06 AM

Glad I found this thread as I will soon order some items (among other things, the Meco Midge) from Kent and some tips for Acetylene.

For annealing ali panels, what size tip should I get (guess the size of the panel comes into play) and can the rosebud tip (propane) be used for faster results?

What is your experience with the MM in this regard? Any help would be appreciated
Old 06-12-2015, 11:41 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Default Annealing tips and propane tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabous View Post
Glad I found this thread as I will soon order some items (among other things, the Meco Midge) from Kent and some tips for Acetylene.

For annealing ali panels, what size tip should I get (guess the size of the panel comes into play) and can the rosebud tip (propane) be used for faster results?

What is your experience with the MM in this regard? Any help would be appreciated
I use a #2 or a #3 on the Meco for annealing aluminum sheet. Set the O/A flow until the flame is loud.

DO NOT use the propane tips for acetylene - they will over-heat and do a rapid-fire series of explosions before spitting red-hot debris out the end of the tip.
Not a fun thing.
I've tried it.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:12 PM

I cheaped out and bought only 2 tips when I got my Meco. Then I needed another one, then another. I probably paid enough postage for a couple of free tips. If I were doing it again I'd just buy them all at once and be done with it. You will use them all eventually.

Also treat the lightweight hose with care. I dropped the torch in such a way that the hose folded back on itself and the aft edge of the brass ferrule punctured the Oxy hose. It is not as thick and bullet proof as the bigger hose, but it is much nicer to work with, provided you are not as clumsy as certain people.

I learned on the Meco. The few times I have used a Victor clone it felt like I was holding a large pipe wrench. You can have mine if you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Last edited by sblack; 06-12-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:26 PM

Thanks Kent and Scott, just the answers I was looking for.

I was sure as hell going to give that propane rosebud tip a try so thanks for saving me some money

Yes, that is what I thought i should do too, get all the tips at once and maybe two no. 2's so i can make one a 2.5. Like the idea that gas welding can be controlled to the extent that using half sizes would make a difference.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:32 PM
Member MetalShaper of the Month Nov 2013

And unless something has changed, Kent has his Meco tips made the old (tapered) way; whereas the factory (Victor now) drills them straight. Buy your tips from Kent.

And besides, when you have a problem you can call him up. Try that at Victor.

When I die heaven can wait, I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

My sculpture web page http://www.fantaciworks.com
Old 06-12-2015, 05:55 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Richard, I just visited your web page. You are a wonderful artist with a light touch!
Old 06-13-2015, 05:32 PM
Member MetalShaper of the Month Nov 2013

Thank you Sir. That is quite generous coming from a master metalsmith.

When I die heaven can wait, I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

My sculpture web page http://www.fantaciworks.com