All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > GETTING STARTED > Introductions
Register All Albums Event Calendar Today's Posts Search
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-24-2016, 07:25 PM

Default amature metalworker of sorts

Hi, Basically a car guy I have been repairing/fabricating/wrenching for 50 years.
Raced my Austin Healey for over 15 years and wrecked is 3 years ago. It has been on a rotisserie for a long time while I replace rusted metal and attempt to straighten a lot of bent metal. I do all work on it myself, partly because I couldn't afford to pay someone to do it and partly because the journey is almost as important as the destination - and I like being able to say I did it all myself.
I am now tackling the aluminum shrouds - my first foray into aluminum welding and shaping. Self teaching by research and trial & error on lots of scrap. This site looks like it may be invaluable for my stumbling project.
Looking forward to asking the occasional questions and reading the archives.
Dave
Old 12-24-2016, 09:21 PM

Welcome Dave, good to have you.

There are lots of cool knowledgeable people here help to you out. Im always happy to offer my two cents.

Enjoy!
Old 12-24-2016, 10:23 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Welcome to the forum, Dave. I have a TR3B to restore as part of my long term metal agenda.

Your aluminum mention with Austin Healy reminds me of the time long ago when we pulled the engine, trans and Leacock overdrive from a 1956 AH 100/6 at the scrap yard shortly before it was crushed. It was pretty rough, so I used a pair of side cutters to cut through the aluminum front apron along each wing/fender so we could snatch the drivetrain more easily. Felt kinda like sacrilege, but that's the way things happened back then...