All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Events
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-15-2016, 11:17 PM

Default Metalshaping in the North Woods

Hi everyone. I have been thinking about having a metal shaping event here in Northern Wisconsin ever since my wife and I decided to move here a couple of years ago. Dan Pate urged me to give it a go since he isn’t doing a fall event any longer. I finally finished my house, moved in, and got a shop built so I thought I’d try an event this fall. The dates will be Thursday October 6 through Saturday October 8. Like many of the other events we’ll go from 9 AM to 6 PM each day. Lunch and beverages will be provided.

My shop is not large so this will have to be a smaller event. I think 20 people would be max. I don’t have a lot of large power tools so I thought a focus on hand tools would be appropriate (Think of it as Metal Shaping Unplugged.)

This is aimed at those of you who - like me - don’t have a Pullmax or an Eckold, etc. I think you’ll see that you can do quite a lot with just hand tools if you know how to go about it.

I’d like to have some demonstrations for the group. I have some ideas around small bucks, making patterns, and patch panels, but I’d rather let others run the demos. If you are interested in attending and would like to do a demo let me know. You don’t have to stick with my demo ideas either, but you should probably stick with the hand tool theme.

I also want to encourage people to bring a small project that they can share with the whole group. Don’t expect to get a lot done on it while you are here, but if you are having trouble you may get some good ideas on how to approach, and others may get ideas or just inspiration from what you are doing. Please bring your own safety equipment; gloves, eye and ear protection, and close-toed shoes.

Pat Brubaker (Patman) will be here on October 4th and 5th doing a hand tool class. He’ll be here for the rest of the meet too, in case you can’t make the class and want to talk with him. His class is $350 for two days, and it includes lunch and supplies. He will allow a maximum of six students.

In general terms, I’m about 80 miles northeast of Minneapolis/St. Paul.

The weather in early October is very often pleasant during the day with cool evenings. (Maybe sweatshirts during the day and jackets in the evening.) the shop is heated of course, but we might spill out into the driveway. The fall colors should be about peak at that time so driving here should be quite pretty. Please respond if you are interested in attending. You can call me if that is more convenient at 715-418-9481.

Thank you,

Last edited by Steve_Greenway; 08-25-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:45 AM

I think that is a good idea
Tentatively my son and I would attend if Dan is not having anything
Will keep an eye on the postings
Old 03-16-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrax View Post
I think that is a good idea
Tentatively my son and I would attend if Dan is not having anything
Will keep an eye on the postings
John,

I'd be happy to have you and your son at the event.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:52 AM

I am interested in the event. Will be watching for updates. How can I sign up for Patmans class?

Last edited by newibiner; 03-19-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newibiner View Post
I am interested in the event. Will be watching for updates. How can I sign up for Patmans class?
Shawn, A posting stating that you want to sign up, or a PM to me, or an e-mail to me, or a phone call at 715-418-9481. I'll put you down for a spot. Please let me know if you weren't ready to sign up though.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:49 AM

Looks like I may have put the initial announcement for this out too early. People may not be looking at their calendars this far out yet. Since it is a new event, I just wanted to make sure that anyone interested in attending had time to plan for it.

Nothing new to add at this point, just wanted to bring it back up to the top of the list.

I should have more info to add starting in about mid-May.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:37 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Steve has been in touch with several of us that have hosted events and he has done an excellent job in researching and solving details. You can expect to have a great time. Make sure he shares his wood working skills as well.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:37 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Mar. 2010

Default Metal shaping class in the North Woods

Hello everyone, looking forward to a fun class and event! The class will be very focused on hand tools and the fundamentals of metal shaping so you can make your panels without large machines.

The class will cover:

Fundamentals of sheet metal work by hand

Shrinking panels and flanges with hand tools

Stretching panels and flanges with hand tools

Bag work, stump shrinking, building shape

Detail work by hand

Planishing, hammer and dolly work, surfacing your tools

Gas and Tig welding

Finishing your welds and panels

If you have any questions fire away, or would like to sign up for the class feel free to say so here or pm or email me at Customridesbuiltmine@yahoo.com, Thanks everyone!

Pat

https://imperialwheelingmachines.com/
Old 05-13-2016, 02:24 PM

Default Shaping weekend

Steve,

Unless something drastic comes up, I'don't like to come up for at least Saturday. May include other days and a class as we get a little closer.....

Thanks,
Dane

Ea. Angelo Metalworks
Old 05-13-2016, 05:24 PM

Dane,

Thanks for the reply. I went to Dan Pate's meet last week and had a lot of people sign up there. Even though it is very early, Saturday is already close to full. I'll put you down for Saturday only for now. Let me know if you want to be included on Thursday and/or Friday, or Pat's 2-day class on Tuesday and Wednesday.

If you are new to metal shaping, you should consider Pat's class. You learn a lot in two days and the focus is all hand tool work. I took a class from him a year ago and thought it was excellent. I would not have invited him to teach at my event if I didn't think people would find it very useful.

I'll be doing three demonstrations on making hand tools on Thursday and Friday and I'll have supplies on hand so you can make your own and take them home with you if you want.

Let me know if you want to sign up for more.

I'll look forward to seeing you in October.

Last edited by Steve_Greenway; 05-19-2016 at 09:08 AM.