All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-16-2013, 08:02 AM

Default Trough

Kerry,

That's an interesting way to form the trough for the weather strip and drainage. I have yet to tackle a similar problem on my teardrop trailer, and will likely use the method. Are you planning on using some sort of seam sealer on the bottom?

Thanks for the post.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
... Are you planning on using some sort of seam sealer on the bottom?
Most definitely! I'll use it to seam all the edges. For your teardrop, you could probably make a U shape or even a U shape with a flange and curve it with a Pullmax die. I can't do that as easily because it's a compound curve...but I might try.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Joe Hartson just called me with a way to shape the U that sounds perfect. It's simple but difficult to explain. I'll document it and see if the photos help explain it.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:53 PM

Default scratching the itch

Nice stuff Kerry.Any further pics,
Old 02-09-2014, 11:12 PM

I remember when this project was still just a group brainstorming session on the old site. It's looking good!

*cheers Kerry on*
Old 02-10-2014, 12:12 AM

Default Nice to see this post working.

At times we just need to walk away for awhile. Fred26t
Old 02-10-2014, 12:34 AM

your a sheet metal GOD. your very awesome and skilled at what you have done!! I hope to be one day half as good as you are!!! wish I lived near you so I could maybe learn a bit from you in person.... haha
Old 02-10-2014, 08:41 AM

Default Seal trough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
On the previous rear end, I had a monumental screw up with the decklid. I had not thought through the shape of the opening and made the decklid a straight line. What this did was cause the decklid to hit the deck at the mid point because the deck is curved. If I had thought a bit, I would have realized that most the old cars I've owned don't have a straight line for the decklid top. DUH!

This time, I wanted to lay out the decklid before I got carried away. I took a sweep that matched the profile of the deck, aligned it carefully,

Attachment 22574

and marked the edge.

Attachment 22575

Then I marked the bottom with the same sweep radius.

Attachment 22576

A flexible rule marked the sides and I put a nice radius on the corners.

Attachment 22577

With this profile, the decklid should match the profile of the deck as it raises and not actually touch...regardless of where the hinges are placed.

The excess metal will be removed and a 1/2" deep flange will be bent down and shrunk/stretched to the correct profile.

The 'kerry draw' image below shows my plan for the decklid weatherstrip trough. The deck is on the left with the flange bent down. Using a series of small angles, I'll shrink and stretch them to match and either rosette weld them together to form the trough or use panel adhesive. The decklid with the hemmed edge is on the right and the square with the X in it is the weatherstrip rubber.

Attachment 22578

Years ago, I was attempting to repair the same part on one of my cars and discussed how it could be made with the group. Wray Schelin and Dutch Comstock suggested this approach because of the complexity of the shape and the difficulty in trying to match profiles.

I purchased the weather strip a few years back and I need to dig it out and make sure the angles are the correct size.

On another note, last week the new parts were removed and the shape tweeked a bit. I've discovered a significant challenge in attempting to finish these large ungainly panels. They are just too complex shapes and too awkward to work easily in any of my Ewheels. I'm afraid most the finessing will have to be done with hand tools. I may try to use my handheld planishing hammer on some areas but will need to be really careful not to distort the aluminum. These are really complex shapes.

I am extremely impressed by Nick M's (Invision) work in areas like this. The details are HARD!!!!!
Kerry I've made hammer forms out of 1/2" hot roll before that might be one way to go.Make one for the deck lid opening and one for the trough.Just a thought
Name:  Kerry.jpg
Views: 3466
Size:  62.9 KB

Last edited by Gunks; 02-10-2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:10 PM

Hey Kerry -- any updates on this roadster project as of late?
Old 04-18-2014, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Not really Mark. Per and Jim Hery did some bumping and smoothing during Dixieland '13 but I've been tied up with life....