All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-15-2013, 02:06 AM
MetalShaper of the Month July '14

With my little experience I think producing a buck is a long term investment, I've had the privilege of seeing this buck and would say it's in the league of Joe Stafford's. Think it's fair to say if someone wanted SS wings across the pond, David would know his would fit provided the rest of the body was correct.

Follow the Dream - Sideways - - But don't fall-off the edge

'good to know you guys care'
https://ctrestorations.com/
Old 08-15-2013, 02:14 AM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisfbrooks View Post
Watching this thread closely. Did you make the buck so you could repo more fenders in the future? I know you have said you don't make a lot of bucks so I was just wondering why since you have a set of original wings. Actually the original wings don't look to bad in the pics. We're they beyond saving?

Thanks,

--louis
Thank you for your interest and for taking the time to comment Louis. I have worked on these cars for the last 25 years or so. I have clad a good few bodies and I have made a good few sets of wings. I made the wings on bucks that belonged to someone else. While the bucks were OK they were made by copying a set of wings that were not originals. The I never felt that they were exactly right. When I had the opportunity to make a set of bucks from original wings on an original chassis with an original ( if restored) ash frame I felt I just had to do it. I am sure I will make more wings in the future but I will never make the money back that I spent on the bucks.

Some of the bodies and wings I have made were for original cars and some were for replicas. I have also fitted several sets of wings that customers bought elsewhere because they thought they were saving money but it always took so much work to sort them out and make them fit I decided I should have these bucks so I can offer wings that are correct and actually fit.

I have never said that making bucks was not a good idea. I have to make things at a price people will pay so I make just what I need to create the parts.

David

All things are possible.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:36 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2012, Jan 2013, Oct 2013

I will follow The progress with big interest, especially when its time for the metalwork

https://www.facebook.com/metalman.sweden
Old 08-15-2013, 03:49 AM

David,
Love this built. Please keep posting it, I learn more just reading through the questions and answers than I could other wise, mostly from questions that others ask. Thank you.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:46 PM
MetalShaper of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z5Roadster View Post
With my little experience I think producing a buck is a long term investment, I've had the privilege of seeing this buck and would say it's in the league of Joe Stafford's. Think it's fair to say if someone wanted SS wings across the pond, David would know his would fit provided the rest of the body was correct.
You are right Tom, its not so bad to make a buck of an abstract shape or something you design yourself but to copy existing panels with any accuracy is no small task. Rear ones were no problem the front ones were a pain.

David

All things are possible.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:48 PM
MetalShaper of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman sweden View Post
I will follow The progress with big interest, especially when its time for the metalwork
Quote:
Originally Posted by gootee08 View Post
David,
Love this built. Please keep posting it, I learn more just reading through the questions and answers than I could other wise, mostly from questions that others ask. Thank you.
Thanks for looking in and commenting. Glad you like the thread.

David

All things are possible.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:04 PM
MetalShaper of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisfbrooks View Post
Watching this thread closely. Did you make the buck so you could repo more fenders in the future? I know you have said you don't make a lot of bucks so I was just wondering why since you have a set of original wings. Actually the original wings don't look to bad in the pics. We're they beyond saving?

Thanks,

--louis
The customer wanted me to repair these wings but they were beyond saving economically. while they were good enough to use as patterns for my bucks I had to rectify some of the damege done by previous repairs in order to get them the right shape. The wing for one side might give me the shape in a certain area while the other side wing might be ok in another area and I worked out the shape from that and photos of original cars.

Here is some photos to show the condition.

There is a steel plate riveted to the underside of the wing and there is a great deal of corrosion between the two parts...

If there is this much rot visible on the outsde it will be a lot worse between the two parts. the rivets are a feature on these wings and as you can see they have been knocked below the surfave of the wing and at some point filled over.

Lots of poor repairs all over the wings and lots of dents and fatigued areas...

Patches- lots of them...

More about how I made the bucks and wings soon.

David

All things are possible.

Last edited by David Gardiner; 08-15-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:40 PM

Yeah I can see now why you are making replacements. I always hate having to repair previous bad "repairs". It always takes more effort than if it had been done right in the first place.

--louis
Old 08-15-2013, 04:04 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct. 2018

hi david im enjoying the progress ive worked on a few ss1 and we never found 2 sides the same never mind 2 sets of wings.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:00 PM
MetalShaper of the Month

SS produced very high quality cars at incredibly low prices, the cars were much more accurately made than most coachbuilt cars I have found. If parts are made accurately and fit without lots of reworking it keeps costs down. That was the secret to the fact that a two and a half litre SS100 cost about the same as a 1500 Riley. The cars you have worked on have probably been got at the same as most of the stuff I see.

David

All things are possible.

Last edited by David Gardiner; 08-16-2013 at 12:33 AM.