View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 06:55 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
Just to keep from cluttering up the other thread. I've decided to get a Meco. I went to your website but don't see the lightweight hoses???

So my question is this and I expect the answer will apply to most all of us here on AllMetalShaping.

What tips do you recommend for 18-20 ga steel?

What tips do you recommend for .050 to .063 aluminum 3003.

I expect anything outside these parameters is pretty much a corner case for most of us.

I have a gas saver with the eternal flame. Is the Piezo thing something that can replace the eternal flame or does it only come with a new gas saver?

What about adapters to go from standard hose connections to the small hoses?
Hi Kerry,

Under "welding" on the TMTech site, see "Meco torch", and look for "hoses" under that -
http://www.tinmantech.com/products/w...ing-hoses/#ulw
These ULW hoses come packed with the male-A to female-B adapters so they go right on your B-sized Reg threads.
(And we have some EU adapters and some BSP adapters - wish i knew the OZ fitting sizes ...)

I use the N-1 tip for 18-20ga crs / 1mm-1.3mm thickness. But for doing tubing and cluster joints the L-1 or even L-2 is a big help for getting into the inside corners.

For the .05 and .063 aluminum / 1.3 -1.5mm thickness I use either the n-2 or the L-2 tip size, unless the joint is complicated and then I go up to a #3 tip - using O/A. I may go up one tip size for using O/H because of the reduced heat that fuel gas provides.

The Sparkie piezo thingy goes right above an existing gasaver - all you do is make a rectangle tube section of .040" metal in your flavor (I used brass) and park the gasaver inside that and screwed back down, with Sparkie mounted on top of the rectangle tube - I use my favorite duct tape to hold Sparkie down so's I can release it to get underneath for the rare AA battery change-out (x 2ea.).

]I'll post a moveable strangle-hanger build for hanging the Meco up around the shop....

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.