Thread: Hammerform Buck
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 06:10 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov. 2018, Jan. 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilb View Post
finally something good and useful gets posted on bragbook, don't think it's enough to make me go back on It though lol
Hahaha. Some moderately interesting stuff from time to time Neil - interspersed of course with yards of crap and subliminal suggestions about what I should think.

This post did pique my interest, as foolishly I've allowed myself to be talked into making an Imola style tank for a Ducati that shouldn't wear an Imola style tank. What's worse, my 'friend' (ex-friend?) would like to make a run of them. It started out as most of these things do with beer and him buying a fibreglass dummy shell to widen out to slot over the quite different 900ss trellis frame. My mate and his partner in crime wanted me to make up a dummy steel inner tank which could then have the horrible lop sided glass rubbish (completely different side to side, so a perfect replica) bonded over the top. Yuk!

More beer later, I said 'look I have a stupid idea... Why don't we make a proper alloy one (same profile side to side, so clearly not original...) and then have it 3D scanned. Then we get the guys down the road (who are building DH Mosquito's...) to laminate up a bunch of MDF and CNC router out a 3 piece mould for some flow forming. If the moulds were painted with epoxy resin, they would stand probably 20 or so sides and tops being rattled out into them.'

I know that I'm going to regret this, but this is the plan...