View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 06:22 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinke View Post
I’m in the investigative phase for another car project after I finish the GTO. I’m looking into scratch building a Lamborghini Miura SV and I'm seeking out information from wherever possible. I see a lot of information about projects on other Lamborghini models but not the Miura.

So some initial questions I’m trying to answer:
1. Has anyone built a Miura and is there a build diary posted anywhere?
2. Does anyone have detailed Miura chassis plans with detailed measurements, etc?
3. Has anyone figured out and built a transverse engine/trans/diff combo that’s in the 400 hp range? V12 preferred but V8 will also work.
4. Has anyone figured out what non-Miura donor parts can be used for such a project? For example, is there a windshield or side window glass from a mass production vehicle that is close enough in shape to use in a scratch built Miura?
5. Does anyone have a Miura body buck or body panel templates that could be used to confirm shape for new aluminum panels? I have the tooling and skills to shape body panels but don’t currently have the Miura shape information other than pictures.

This will be a one off project for me as I have no ambitions to “go into the car business”. Given this, I’m hoping to find some knowledgeable people who are willing to freely share information that would make this project feasible to do.

Thanks in advance.
Joel
What I have done in the past is to buy a proper scale model about 1/18 of the same car, then get it scale up to size by computer program ( all you need to know is the real wheels base sizes) this will cut all profiles , and then... if the buck is to expensive simply buy the profiles only, use sweeps to do the rest
As far as the front window ...I think by memory a Corvette front window is close ,if not..... most American cars of the 60's/ 70's will do, simply by getting them cut to size, grill and bars can be made also, I think that the tail lights would be hard to find now days, seats frames can be modified from others European cars of that era, the chassis can also be made by ''cut and shut''other chassis that are similar......BIG JOB!!!! ( About 5000+ hours) ask me how I know.... in the past I have built a similar project from (''bits and pieces from any types of cars'')
Peter
PS back then I used a Jaguar XK 140 engine gear box and diff and floor pan...........

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM

Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 01-28-2018 at 06:55 AM.