View Single Post
Old 06-03-2017, 01:02 PM

Bill,
As I had commented on another site, I agree with Peter that you need to determine the sweep before proceeding as it will tell you if it need be shaped before swaging.

Using a bead roller would be my preference over a Pullmax. If your panel will not fit in your machine, I would consider making rollers that could be adapted to your e-wheel.

As for welding edges, I would not suggest that method. For the many years that I have been repairing coachbuilt cars, I have found it rare to see panels that are edge welded. Some reasons are: possible poor penetration, difficult to clean flux on an interior tight corner or fold, very difficult to correct profile or shape if heat distortion, any hammering will thin the edge and the heat of welding will reduce the strength of the line which often adds structure to the panel. If the panel is made well (stable) you should have no issue of welding in the flat open areas. If piecing the panel is necessary, I would not be afraid to weld in the crown above or in the flat below. British and Italian coachbuilders were generally not shy about welding pieces together to create some beautifully shaped panels.

Looks like a fun project.
Rick