Thread: Leigh's Model A
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2016, 10:53 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by onya View Post
I had a go at tipping an edge of 1.9mm tonight on the E Wheel, not real accurate and the radius on the bend is way too big.
I was surprised that my Shrinker actually worked on 1.9mm, I am going to try making a template out of 6mm next and clamp it all in the Vice and bend it with a Hammer.

Attachment 38199
I've struck/tipped edges in thicker materials by using the blunt chisel method, and hammering a wide carpet chisel that has the edge rounded off.
I either clamp the piece down with double stick tape under it, or screw it down. I work it into soft plywood - CDX - as it is junky enough to compress along the chisel line.
For doing 3 or four long pieces I used the rivet gun with a blunted chisel in that and make several full-length passes, gradually weakening the crease so I can either bend it in the vise or use a big steel block and a heavy hammer to persuade the parts the rest of the way to a 90.
Not such a big deal to strike a line in heavy stock ....

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.