View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 10:34 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

I need some help here. I'm at one of those points where I really could use some power equipment. I will be making the rear bumper for this car soon and don't have access to a reciprocating machine. I'll be using .060" 430 Stainless for a few good reasons; available in mirror polish, somewhat easier to work with than 304 and 303, corrosion resistant, won't go magnetic, weldable, and that's the alloy OEM's use for trim. I need to use .060" for strength and so I have enough thickness to polish out any tool marks I might leave behind. I will be making a bumper very similar to what Chip used on his EldoRod.

Name:  2 foose cad 2.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  79.8 KB

I'll have to make it in 5 pieces. The main center bar, left and right inner curves, and left and right outer curves.
I won't have as much crown as the EldoRod because my rear body panel is flatter than that. You can see that below.

Name:  rr bumper.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  42.9 KB

Along the bottom edge I will need about a 3/4" to 1" radiused roll inward. That's where things get tough. If I were making this out of 18ga steel, I would wheel in a little crown and bring the curve into place, then use a radiused die and PU wheel in the bead roller for the radiused lower edge, then use the shrinker along the upper and lower edges to help adjust the curve through the length of the center bar, but I don't think this thick stainless will move for me like that.
I don't have access to a reciprocating machine and don't know anyone nearby that has one.
I could probably beat this thing into submission by hand but it would take me two weeks and I'd end up with forearms like Popeye.
Any suggestions? Kent?Wray? Kerry? Is anyone out there with a reciprocating machine within driving distance of Cleveland, Ohio?

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.

Last edited by Jack 1957; 09-28-2017 at 12:16 AM.