View Single Post
Old 03-16-2018, 06:51 PM

Evening Douglas,
Hopefully I wont screw you up or confuse the points I am trying to get across, since some one the heavyweights have chimed in the topic and dont wont to be the fool....I am however the comic relief.

Work the section with the tools you have readily available, we know you have a pullmax, a bead roller and hopefully a brake. I think a hammerform for this is a waste of time since you stated you wanted to make multiple sets hence the need making one from tool steel (I could be off base on this one). And I dont think stamping it will work in your favor since the radius will pull first and stretch the middle too thin.

If you break it down into 4 parts, the step, the flat and the 2 buttes (these also have a separate U shape formed flat) fabbing the two buttes is just really making two upside down pans, bend the straight 90' on the brake and the curved section can be tipped and then brought 90'. you can Shrink-stretch the 90' flange to get the desired radius at top and bottom, then just trim the flange to fit the flats radius.

The flat looks like it has a .062 step on the rear portion that can be beaded in. The front flange can be tipped and then hammer into 90'. Then that can be Shrink-stretch to the radius needed and trimmed to fit. and tucking the hard belt line reverses and radius. The hardest part is the cutouts this would need underneath of the buttes.

The step would just be a 90' angle bend, Shrink-stretch to desired shape to fit the flats shape.

Tack weld all together and solder all intersections from the backside if you can solder well if not a good solderer, all the intersection should be open corners on the backside to weld up easy enough.

Hope I made sense and you should be able to make this out of a single piece of metal. A 48 x 96" sheet of metal.....