View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 08:19 AM

Default B-Post / Rear Door Jamb forming

I hate to say it, but I'm stumped on how to best fabricate a set of rear door jambs for a vintage BMW. I want to be able to reproduce them for other cars and so I'm looking for consistency and quality in each part. I have made one set by making small components and then tig-welding them together (see attached photos), but I'd rather try and make them from one piece of sheet metal. The originals are 0.035"-20 gauge steel. The complexity is in the double stepped flange that tapers and joins as one at both the top and bottom. The door jambs have a subtle arc before making a tight curve at the bottom forming a "J".

I have tried using my bead roller with an angled die on top and a flat die on the bottom to allow me to make the stepped flanges, but it causes a lot of distortion that needs constant attention. I have not yet made dies for my Pullmax types machines yet because I'm not sure if that's the best method since the stepped flanges all taper to nothing on both ends. Plus the top portion of the door jamb panel has a tight bend in the stepped flanges.

I'm now in the process of making a set of hammerforms, which seems simple enough, but they're not due to the arc and forming the stepped tapered flanges at the bottom.

If anyone has made any parts with similar tapered stepped flanges and can provide any guidance, I'd greatly appreciate your input.

IMG_2901.jpg

IMG_2899.jpg

IMG_2900.jpg