View Single Post
Old 09-25-2014, 01:28 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldtoride View Post
I agree with everyone above who says a cheap hammer is not worth anything, and may even be counter-productive.

It amazes me that the guys knocking them off overseas still haven't caught on to at least copying a well balanced hammer head with good weight distribution, handle length, cross section, etc. In other words, at least sell a good copy but with bad (worthless) metallurgy! Instead they offer a very poor ergonomic copy and with bad metallurgy. I suspect they are copying the same 25 year old bad Taiwanese copy of a body set, thinking they are knocking off something good.
Having been to Vietnam and also Taiwan I realize in Asia there’s thousands upon thousands of motor bikes / scooters flying down the roads at speeds that seem almost impossible with their very tiny engines screaming to the max and most leaving trails of white smoke. Even the smallest town has several shops (some just a tent with repairs being done under a shade tree) with a bunch young Asian boys working on keeping all these scooters running in various states of poor repair. By my best guesstimate I’d say these boys / workers average 4’ 10” tall and maybe 75 pounds with a pocket full of nickels. The fenders they are pounding out (even with rocks) are probably 22 to 24 gauge. I’m convinced those stupid undersized 7 piece sets were originally designed for those tiny Asian workers to pound away on scooter fenders at a price only slightly more than rock or brick they were using previously. If anyone is stupid enough to think those 7 piece sets can be used for auto body repair work………. well great , the Asian manufacturers & ruthless importers will only be too happy to take your money. Well, that’s my best guess on why the 7 piece Asian sets are so poorly designed, how true it may be I really don’t know . ~ John Buchtenkirch