Thread: C5 gto
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2015, 03:04 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Post Rear fender/wheel liner

Before moving on from fender liner topic, I thought I’d show the completed liner for the drivers rear side. For the rear liner, I decided to make it from 3003 aluminum in .050 thickness where I’d used .040 for the front. My reasoning for the thicker metal was it would have fewer mounting points to the chassis and I anticipate more rocks to be thrown against it as the car is rear wheel drive and has excessive horsepower.

The construction approach was the same as shown for the front liner. I used a sheet metal buck to determine the shape. The liner was then made by metal shaping sections and then O/A gas welding them together. On the rear liner I was able to tip the flange that goes around the wheel opening directly into the liner versus welding it on. This was possible because the flange area only goes to the vent opening in the rear fender. I could effectively fit the liner to the opening for marking the tip line. Where on the front liners they go around the whole wheel opening and there's no way to fit them up to the opening until they're cut to fit inside.

Once the liner is put into place, it provides a nice finished look in the wheel opening. The rear fender vent opening did make for an extra clearance challenge but does make for a convenient place for a mounting bracket.