View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 09:55 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

With the radiator back in you can now see the clearance between the cross member and the fan support.

This is where I want the grille body mounts to go, but it is not quite flat enough.

So I used some 6mm-1/4" plate ground to fit the contour and make it perfectly level on top. Welded a nut inside the chassis to take the mounting bolt as will cap the end of the chassis later on.

Next is to make a mount off the grille without welding to the face of it so it doesn't show once painted.

I will see if I can use the body mount as a support later on for the top radiator mount as well.

I folded up the mount so it has a tab that goes over the double layer of steel where the lower grille tray overlaps the grille flange. This helps spread the load and is also a strong section. The vertical brace is up against the side of the bead I put in where it is the stiffest.

The outside brace welds directly to the steel strap that runs right around the outside of the grille. I had already extended it to the very bottom when I made the grille longer in preparation for the mounts. Back of the grille was painted and then flexible caulking put in between the front face of the mount.

Using two mounts instead of the factory single centre mount makes it much more sturdy than stock.

That is the last the the cab and front clip body mounts done.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.