View Single Post
Old 09-23-2018, 04:58 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

Default T-6 racing at Reno

I thought some of the guys might find this interesting, if the admins, don't like it, please delete.

2018 marks the forth year that I have been involved with "T-6 class" air racing at National Air Races, held every year in Reno Nevada.

1.jpg
6.jpg

The airplane is owned by my friend Eric Woelbing, from Kenosha Wisconsin. He purchased the airplane three years ago as it had a old racing history. "Miss TNT" is a North American T-6 that was originally built as a advanced military trainer for the Army Air Corp and Navy during World War II.

The T-6 class is the "stock car" of air racing with the same kinds of mods and secrets as the car world. We are always testing new ideas on how to reduce drag and increase horse power.

Summer testing of rear window drag. We mounted a Go Pro camera on the wing tip, to look at the rear window. The red yarn shows how the air moves in flight. Just like NASA, but without the budget.

2.jpg

As the flight line crew chief, designer and sheet metal guy, it is a lot of fun to come up with an idea and to see if you can make it go faster. We increased speed by 7mph over last year, using only Magic. I would show more of the sheet metal work, but that is part of the Magic. The original engineers have a great design, the trick is finding the little stuff that makes you go faster.
3.jpg
5.jpg

Flight line crew.
7.jpg

Pit crew
8.jpg
Rest of the team.
9.jpg

This year was our best finish with 1st place in the Silver race. 10.jpg
We have a great team and we are great friends. I'm lucky to know these guys and to be a part of this.

227.590 Mph over a 4.8 mile course and yes, it is faster than stock.

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.