View Single Post
Old 10-07-2014, 07:39 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by skintkarter View Post
Hi Marcus

Nice build you have going on.

A metal shaping 'god' friend of mine (Mike Roberts - facebook Hammer Works) put me onto a metal protection fluid called Epiphos. It's a quick drying phosphoric etch transparent primer thing... For most bits I use a small domestic spray bottle, squirt bits lightly and then wipe smooth/off with a rag. It dries very quickly, lasts for months inside and can be welded through without issue. The guy that acid dipped and fine media blasted our racecar shell, sprays it inside and out immediately after blasting. It's better than the Henkel 'Keyphos' I previously used. http://www.chemetall.co.nz/product/epiphos
I will keep an eye out for that. The lanolin works as an anti spatter too and use it either in a spray can or squirt bottle. Sold under the INOX brand as well. Use the Lanotec brand as well and has no effects on paint after being wiped off with thinners etc.

You might remember how the stock frame looked before I started altering the bends nearly 12 months ago.

I ended up only moving the rear most bend on the original configuration forward so that the rails will run parallel now starting at the firewall rather than the the forward mounts of the rear leaf springs part way down under the bed.

This is the biggest part that will be added to the frame rails from the Grand Cherokee. This is the support bracket for the upper wishbone and the coilover. Technically the upper wishbone on these is what makes it a coilover rather than a strut. A strut also plays a roll in locating the hub where as a coilover does not, but often the term now a days is used for both.

The pressing here is for extra lateral strength and to clear the coilover. It needs to be recessed into the rail to centre the load more above the rail and reduce twisting leverage. When I made the new bends in the frame I took this into account.

I find it easier to weld the plate that will line the notch on the frame rail over the actual mount so all the angles are correct.

I first clamped the mount back into place on the rail and then clamped the new plate section to the back of it inside the rail so I knew everything was in the right position. Then tacked from the inside before removing the mount so it could be welded. You can also see compared to the rail in the background, how I have extended the wider section of the flange past the notched section. I have added as much as the notch is deep so no lateral strength has been lost.

Starting to fully weld the plate in.

It was also fully welded from the back.

The section that will end up behind the mount has been coated with weld through primer to protect against rust between the two layers.

All angles and the position is double checked against what I recorded before pulling apart the Grand Cherokee. I have even have it over the same bit of concrete to keep things as accurate as possible having recorded the measurements on both paper and photos.

Mount sits flush against the rail now.

I found that one of the rails was nearly 3mm-1/8" lower than the other side at the end of the rail. As I don't have an oxy, I just ran an extra weld bead on the inside of the bend and then cooled the weld with the air gun to help it shrink. This caused the bend to tighten and lift the end of the rail level with the other one.

With the rails were perfectly level to each other, I could then level the two mounts against each other. I went off the upper wishbone mounting holes on both sides as their angles and height are the most important.

Welded in.

Started on making the templates for the boxing plate. To make the swaybar bush hole I just hit the top of it until it broke through.

Trimmed the outsides with a utility knife. I used craft paper or card stock. Just bought A4 packs of 10 for $2.50 from the $2 shop and taped them together.

Hoping I can make the whole boxing plate in only two sections.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.

Last edited by Gojeep; 08-01-2017 at 02:37 AM.