View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 07:31 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Tommasini View Post
If I could draw on the computer I would show how it's done , BUT....I would not know how to even start
the only thing I can suggest ....
I have cameras in my shop.... no audio (not just yet) but I could try to record the way to do it... and then with a bit of help from my son I could copy it on to a USB stick and send it to who ever is interested
Peter
Not sure that the original poster has an English Wheel.

Whether or not he does, the way Peter uses a wheel is not like the videos and demos I have seen. after watching Peter manhandle his wheels at RockHillWill's shop last fall, all I can compare it to is how people are supposed to use a screwdriver and how every one of us really uses a screwdriver. Most use an English wheel passively. Peter pumps, twists, lifts one side of the metal while pushing down on the other- whatever it takes. At times, it looked like he was going to flip the wheel over when he was making the metal do what he wanted it to do. I'm not kidding. It wasn't the calm back & forth while holding your mouth funny like most pics show....

Think about how you put something in a vise, then twist and pull and push against it to bend it, often to the limit of how the bench is attached to the floor or wall. The same thing happens in the wheel. The difference is that when done in the wheel the metal is rolling back & forth instead of staying in one place.

By cocking the flat/square lower wheel so it isn't parallel to the upper wheel, you can use the chosen higher edge of the lower wheel (which is now all that is part of the lower wheel-metal-upper wheel contact group) to create the desired line in the metal. Move slowly to follow your desired line while pulling down or pushing up as needed. It works very well and is not difficult. Peter's English wheels have a screw on each side of the lower wheel saddle to make such adjustment simple. But you could easily shim an axle end on a non-adjustable saddle to achieve the same thing. I ordered my flat lower wheel/anvil from Hoosier with different radii on each edge for exactly these reasons. No bead roller here yet.

Whether or not you have an English Wheel, like Kent said, there are many ways to achieve the same result.