View Single Post
Old 10-15-2016, 01:16 PM
MetalShaper of the Month July '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyce View Post
Thanks for sharing Tom. Nice work! Did you use a profile gauge to get the shape of the sweeps? Was that the flexible straightedge?
Hi Jeff, it's good to share, the sweeps were formed on my shrinker just laid the copper/bronze strip as in photo 4 marked a sharpie line at either end of the rad and transferred that to the blank sweep then a little at a time shrunk the strip until it fitted the pattern fender. The flexible straightedge will be used when assembled and ridged as a proving tool, take a piece of strip that is flexible but returns to it's original shape when released I have used 3/32" birch ply about 3/4" wide but could be ally, brass or my favourite beryllium copper, wrap it over the outside of the sweeps, it should touch every station, if you have a high spot you will possibly get daylight between the station either side, with a low you will have a gap on the low.

Some time back I took one of my cobra rear fender bucks to Geoff Moss while having wheeling tuition, he showed me this simple method which works on most panels. It wont work on the outside of the wheel arch, will try and remember to post a pic when the time comes.

Follow the Dream - Sideways - - But don't fall-off the edge

'good to know you guys care'
https://ctrestorations.com/