View Single Post
Old 06-10-2015, 01:05 PM
MetalShaper of the Month February 2020

Location: Fortuna California -- up north behind the redwood curtain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWD View Post
Hi Steve, your work is very impressive. I was wonder how your radius bar is held in place on the folder. Do you have tabs under it to hold it in place? Or do you clamp it down? Hope you don't mind me asking. Keep up the good work.
Thanks JWD --- Took a little time to get back to you. I wanted to take some pictures. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words.
This is the flat bar used in the above post.----- With the round bar setting flat on the table slide a piece of flat bar up next to it so it just touches keeping both the bar and the strap flat on the table.Tack weld them just on the vary ends.
Turn it over and skip weld the bottom side . Use an under cut type weld to keep it below the surface as this is the surface that clamps to your work.
Keep the welding to a minimum. Do not get carried away with the welding as it can pull and distort the bar.
No welding on top of the strap as you will see in the next photo.
To leave a clean receiver pocket for the upper beam or fingers to nest.
Or another way it can be accomplished with a finger bake is to remove the fingers and make up a bolt in radius nose bar.

Last edited by qkiss; 07-09-2017 at 09:38 AM.