View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 07:45 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

Nice work dumbass! First day on the job?
Somehow I managed to screw up the bend along the lower edge of the fender. I missed it by about 3/16" at the front.

Name:  938.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  65.7 KB

It was a real headache straightening that out since the inner brace was already welded in. I had to relocate the bend by hand with hammers and dollies but I got it looking presentable. I don't know what happened but I guess that from taking the fender on and off numerous times, the core support must have shifted and I did not catch it until after I had marked and bent the lower edge. So, I went around and checked level and alignment yet again. Made adjustments and mounted the fender to check the fit. It's good now so I cut the front of the rocker to match the fender. I also need to make a bracket for the rear edge of the fender to the firewall while everything is in alignment. There are three bolts along the lower edge and one at the top of the fender which would normally be plenty but the fender reinforcement that I made is thinner than the original so to compensate for that, I'm adding another bracket half way between the top and bottom bolts.

Name:  939.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  55.9 KB

Name:  940.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  75.1 KB

Name:  941.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  61.1 KB

After making the cut on the rocker, I made a cap that matches the radius of the wheel opening lip and welded that in.

Name:  942.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  51.6 KB

Name:  943.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  74.1 KB

So I put everything back together again and I have a good fit everywhere. The swept rear edge of the wheel opening is one of those things that no one will ever notice but it works with the angle of the A pillar and the angle of the rear cut of the back fenders. It works with the whole of the car. People usually don't notice this kind of thing because it looks natural. Expected. You would only notice if all these various things were NOT aligned.
There are a lot of lumps and bumps all over this fender. It will probably be another day's work to get it straightened out. Nothing major, just a lot of minor stuff.

Name:  944.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  58.4 KB

Name:  945.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  36.7 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.