View Single Post
Old 01-10-2017, 01:27 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc View Post
Kent,

How is the "harsh flame" issue with the tips? I have two Midgets (one purchased from you and one old unit) and three sets of TM tips - all exhibit a harsh flame as we discussed a couple years back. Peter has tried both of them and verifies that they don't have a nice flame at all. The torch and tips he purchased from you also behave the same. Yet, he tried two Mecos also purchased through you on the East coast which he says DO have a nice flame.

Now, my experiments have been with three different sets of regs, different hoses, with and without gassaver, using all known methods of setting the torch and the results are always the same.

So the question is why are some of the tips harsh and some not? Any idea?
Sure, I have a great idea:
The harsh flame is only due to one thing: tip design / manufacture.

I will bet that if a smooth flamed Meco tip is put onto a Meco that has a harsh flame then the flame will change, too.
(It always works for us, anyway.)

I have been saying this to customers for several years, without variation, when they complain about the harsh flame. (For those just tuning in to this "channel" on harsh torch flames- the "harsh" or raspy or loud hissy flame is due to turbulence in the gas flow characteristics of the final exit point of the flame - the tip orifice.)
Please note this photo, carefully:
P1030723 copy.jpg
These are Meco N tips which had harsh raspy ragged hissy flames.
They were opened up to see why.
The machining was done "quick and dirty" (read: cheap and fast). These were supplied by Victor, who made the Meco at that time.

Meco is no longer owned by "Meco Company" but by Victor/Thermadyne - and now, ESAB.

TM Tech (tinmantech.com) makes tips and necks for our Meco torches that we sell. Our quality control is what we see on visual inspection. If a particular tip has an internal burr or has been mis-machined in process and our inspections do not catch it/them, then they go out to the customer. We get batches of odd parts sometimes, and sometimes we just have to change shops because of ongoing quality issues.

We always replace bad parts, if/when they are returned to us.

Again - the harsh, raspy, ragged, hissy torch flame is due to the torch tip.
Conversely - a smooth flame is due to the torch tip.

If you have a complaint, please call us....?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Meco tips, inside story.jpg (39.6 KB, 47 views)

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.

Last edited by crystallographic; 01-10-2017 at 01:32 PM.