View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 10:06 AM

to clarify, he is currently working on two of my personal project cars as a contractor (1099) with an agreed upon price. No worries at this time.

As I am a one man shop. I was trying to figure out if I could bring him on at the price he needed.

one of the projects I am getting ready to do will need more metal shaping then he is doing right now. 38 Desoto that needs the trunk completely rebuilt, fender shaped, ect. you all know the drill with these old cars.

there is a few of us in the area that have shops with only the owners working. we occasionally help each other out when the need arises which is nice.

After reading everyone's post and if I was in his position I would build up my equipment and outfit a home shop to augment my income. Have a higher price to do the work out of my shop and then another lower price to work out of someone else's shop using their equipment as a 1099'd worker.

also, the shop owner then would have to make sure his liabilities are covered.

When I started all this I was not looking to really start another business. just play with a few cars, sell them when I was done and then start over again. Need something to do other then fish and golf. :-) I just need some help on occasion in a few area's that my skills are lacking.

Thanks again for everyone's input. it has been an interesting conversation and has changed my thinking from the beginning of this post.