View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 06:48 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert the builder View Post
The link David has provided is now:

http://www.phillips-safety.com/weldi...ld-lenses.html

The link didn't work for me but I believe this is the same product.

Robert

BTW, has anyone any reports on the lenses they have tried? I am looking for anti orange sodium flare for gas welding aluminium. I need to wear glasses behind the filter, else the filter will be a waste of money because I won't be able to define the weld pool due to my poor eyesight!!!
Hello Robert,

Ryan Phillips (owner, Phillips Safety) has sent me several pairs of his glass plates over the years, claiming that they are the "same."

I bought a pair of his $100 glass plates last year from him, and I can say they are NOT the same. They are a glued sandwich of didymium glass, shade 2.5, and a plain old green shade 3 welding glass. The edges are very rough and you can see the glue joint and they work as well as didymium, so just remember all the medical information about "glassblower's glaucoma" from those using the didyminum glass from the 1970's onward.
Would you like to borrow this lens to see for yourself?

Oh, and with any glass safety lens you have to be careful when handling it over concrete, steel tables, scrap bins, asphalt driveways, and etc because the glass does not always bounce when dropped. But if you think that safety glass is "fragile" remember that the Drop Ball Impact test is dropping a one inch diameter steel ball from 50 inches onto the glass plate. I've broken a few, and like tempered auto glass that can take a good shot to its face, the edges are the weak points.

I have plastic safety eyewear that I use in the shop for some applications. It is cheaper and it scratches - and it does not hold its optical value in bright light over time. Depends on what your eyes are worth, I guess.

I tested my prototypes for 10 years before making and selling it. I've used them almost daily since 1981, and I now use +1.5d reading glasses. We hear grumbles about the cost, and that our manufacturing information is not made public, but the quality has proven good over the past twenty-five years. It is also available in shades 12 and 14, by request.

"just one guy" and his opinion,

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.