View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 05:26 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by billfunk29 View Post
A couple options for cleaning airplane parts. I have used ultrasonics baths, mostly flux removal on brazed pitot tubes. Most machines are 40 kHz, which have lots of power, but the 100kHz machines have smaller bubbles and penetrate pores better. Ultrasonic cleaning will blast holes in aluminum foil in less than a minute. Do a test piece first. Another choice is dry ice blasting. Our machine shaves off a block of dry ice and shoots it out like a sand blaster. Except no clean-up. The machines are expensive, but the principle is simple. Maybe a DIY project.

Vibrasonics work nicely - on some parts, for sure.

Before dry ice came along it was soda blasting, and before that it was walnut shell. Dry ice has been the go-to for a couple decades now - (dating the tech is a bummer for me, as time goes too fast, Bill.)

I rinse my welded tanks with 25% phosphoric after a hot water rinse, and that seems to clean up flux residues very nicely.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.