View Single Post
Old 11-27-2016, 12:39 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHillWill View Post
I just completed the drawings for this Model A fender buck, and am posting while it is all fresh in my mind. This is not the only way, just one way. I like making drawings, so this is the approach that I have taken, and from my limited experience, I like the fact that I can use it as a hammer form buck if I need to. In some previous bucks, I was too liberal in making the buck ribs be vertical, leaving too much sanding to fit the actual contours. That also made it harder to hold up under some of the 'angled' hammer blows. I learned the West System glue usage from Jim Hery and the 3D scanning was done by Scott White at the last Redneck Roundup.

This the .IGES file that was sent to me by Scott Whiten after he 'worked over' the point cloud from the 3D scan taken in the shop.
Attachment 39562

I saved that file as a parts file in SolidWorks.
Attachment 39563

One of the earliest steps was to establish a base and back bone that could be cut out of the available 60" x 60" Baltic birch plywood.
Attachment 39564

Attachment 39565

Attachment 39566

Attachment 39567

Attachment 39568

Attachment 39569

Attachment 39570

Attachment 39571

Attachment 39572

Attachment 39573
Wow, that looks great Will. You have captured the process accurately.
How did you determine the eye/hand openings, from making a fender or two?

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.