View Single Post
Old 10-16-2018, 06:45 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2018, August 2021,November 2023

Nothing too major to update. Like I mentioned last time, I'm trying to button up some smaller tasks (still important, just not visual and "exciting" I foresee myself getting pretty serious on figuring out some floor structure in my near future though!

For the time being here's a batch of photos showing a body mount standoff I designed and the steps for fabricating them (I built 6 matching ones)

CNC Plasma Tables

I've always wanted a CNC plasma table but it's just never been a necessity (nice to have...but there are always other things / tools we needed more seriously) However, I do believe I've talked my mother (front office $$$) That it's getting to a point that my time and labor can be spent in better ways than drilling and cutting out smallish brackets by hand.

I've got my welding supply company looking at some options (though they may be a bit higher than what we'd like to spend) Looking for a decent one, not cheap, but not industrial and outrageous in price. For what I do I honestly think a 2'x2' would cover 95% of what I'd plan to cut.....though having one may expand my horizons and I'll find out I'd like bigger?!?! For space reasons in our shop I don't think I could manage / fit anything bigger than a 4' x 4' comfortably.

I do my cad designs on a laptop most often and would probably prefer just a USB type port / display on a cutting table rather than a full computer out in our shop atmosphere. For what we do 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" plate is the norm....doesn't get heavier than that.

Does anyone possibly have any input on a table that is affordable, yet useable (I know you typically get what you pay for) There will be times I'm using this table a lot during a build, then it may sit for months not getting used. So a table that can stand up to 24/7 use isn't necessary. We are kind of hoping thinking there is something available in the $3000-$4000 range (not including a plasma cutter)

Thanks

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1415
Size:  80.4 KB

A short while back I figured up all the specs for getting a driveshaft built. The customer had a local contact where he's from build a nice aluminum driveshaft.

It really looks at home tucked between the mufflers. Everything worked out as planned.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  79.1 KB

A view from the side with the suspension "air out" showing how deep the driveshaft tunnel will need to be eventually.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  78.2 KB

Laying out and cutting all the pieces for the 6 body mounts. Slow and tedious (see question at top of post in regards to CNC plasma tables)

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  79.2 KB

All the individual pieces cut out and ready to assemble into a mount.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  79.2 KB

I made a "jig" fixture to help assemble each body mount.

The top is turned down so the hole in the top pad plate centers on the jig and it's temporary bolted together......

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  76.9 KB

Align and locate one of the side plates and weld the flat area up to the start of the radius......

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  70.3 KB

Heat and bend / form the radius around the jig (the jig was turned to the correct radius needed)…….

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  75.7 KB

Attach the second side and repeat the process. Once done all the joints are fully welded up. Unbolt the jig and slip it out from the body mount.

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  76.3 KB

Here I'm holding a mount roughly in position

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  74.7 KB

You can see how I worked around the fuel and brake lines.

Dane

Last edited by pplace; 10-16-2018 at 06:47 PM.