View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 11:36 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Post Chassis Mods for Transverse Transaxle (part 2)

In this update, I’ll show the last steps in completing the modifications to the rear suspension mounts. These mods were required to provide clearance for the transverse transaxle.

I’m using the same Loctite brand methacrylate based structural adhesive for bonding in this situation as was used on all the original glued joints in the chassis. I submitted a question to Henkel (parent company for Loctite brand) asking if there is a recommended “gap” between the bonded aluminum pieces. The prompt response from the Henkel engineer was, “no induced gap yields the best results.”

So after spreading a thin layer of glue over entire surfaces of both pieces being bonded, I used lots of clamps to try to minimize the gap as much as possible. I had to quickly remove the glue squeezed out after clamping as the 15 minute work time glue sets up fast.

After 24 hours to let the glue achieve full strength, here’s the result.

The last step in the modification was to put the A arm mounts into double shear, i.e. mounted to chassis on both sides of the heim pivot point. While I’m confident they have the needed strength in single shear, putting them in double shear was easy, provides some extra rigidity, and could be done without adding much weight. Al 6061 angle in 2.5 inch by ¼ inch stock was used to fabricate the mounts.

These will be bonded to the frame rails using structural adhesive. I purposely made them a bit oversized to give plenty of surface area for the bonding joint.