View Single Post
Old 10-03-2018, 06:21 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Post Chassis Mods for Transverse Transaxle

In parallel with building the fuel tank, I’ve been modifying the chassis to make room for the transaxle. Before getting into the details, I’d like to make the point that this chassis was originally designed for a longitudinal mid-engine placement. So these modifications aren’t because the was anything wrong with the chassis, they are because I’m using it for a transverse mid-engine placement. When I purchased the chassis, I knew some modification would be required so none of this was a surprise.

As a reminder, the transaxle is a custom build and it’s being designed and built by a friend that’s located in a different city than I am. So my friend Pete put together a “mock-up transaxle” so I could try it out in the chassis and provide back to him some measurements/angles needed for positioning the final drive portion. The mock-up unit consists of scrap aluminum, a scrap transmission case and plywood. While quite crude, it does communicate key information that cannot otherwise be described on paper or verbally.

Here is the mock-up transaxle sitting in the chassis after I’ve cut away some interfering metal.

The main interference was located on the chassis driver side between where the A arms attach. For longitudinal mounted drive train, this chassis member is used as a motor/transaxle mount. It feels a bit weird taking a Sawzall to a brand new chassis but it makes quick work for removing the interfering metal.

After a few iterations of test fitting and cutting away more metal, I had the transaxle in a good location. I also had to cut away a section in the back rear corner of cockpit.

I then mocked up in cardboard a replacement for the metal cut away.

You can see there’s not much room for this important chassis member between the lower A arm and the transaxle case. So my plan of attack is to make a connector piece to weld in and a second piece to glue in.

Here’s the glue in piece.

After welding …

And grinding the welds off in preparation for gluing…

I think this will be plenty strong given that I now have a ½” aluminum member now connecting the frame rails and tying the upper and lower A arm mounts together.