View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Comstock View Post
There are some non scientific thoughts going on here with MIG welding.

I have successively welded with no gap, very high amperage settings, little buildup, and no peaking. I dont fuss around with grinding, i just get a bigger one.

Same rules and physics apply, when the puddle is in its molten state, outside stresses push toward the path of least resistance, the puddle, causing the shrinking. Same happens when using a shrinking disc.

The peaking happens when there is more material, more weld in a small area. Try putting less weld time into the panel. Turn up the machine, spend less time on the trigger.

When there is no gap, most people either dont turn the amperage setting up much, if at all. Now a welder has to stay on the trigger longer to get the same penetration as before without a gap. The key here is "more time on the trigger" adding more energy input, as well as more material. I do not know exactly what effect more material has other than being bad and more crap to grind, but i bet Someone has an answer.

Marty
Marty.... i think we are on the same page with mig. I can weld just fine with no gap and as i was taught "Hot n Fast" with out peak or panel distortion. Fast on the trigger is my mindset always. Thanx for that confirmation, Early on. I forced my donor piece in place leavn the metal no were go. Times have changed and its all good now. I realy wana find a good way to stay with my mig for now but fine tune the heck outta the process and for a lack of better words , master it... at the same time firing up the torch and begin to learn its way.