View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHillWill View Post
Guys, many of us have been thru the thinking that 'I can build my own for cheap'. In reality it does not happen that way. Kerry and I repeated this idea when I discovered that you are not always able to build a fabricated wheeling machine for what you can buy one for, especially if you are employed and can earn money during the time that you would spend doing your own work. Long sweeps look impressive, but you are seldom working on panels with a constant radius over long dimensions, and if you do, you can slide the sweeps down the length of the panel. If the panel you are working on has any form of reverse curve, the shorter sweeps work better.

I have a set of the sweeps that Kerry is speaking about and I have seen what Jimmy Hervatin makes. Guys, do yourself a favor and get one of Jimmys sweep sets. They will show up in a few days, while you are busy making money at what you do best!

The do it yourself 'projects' do little more than feed your ego. Buy 'good stuff' from 'good guys' and keep moving! I'm a little embarrassed to reveal how old I was before I started figuring this out. You get what you pay for. 'one-offs' are rarely profitable.

Peter Tommasini makes an excellent set for the pro's, but they are a long way away.
I guess this means I can stop looking for the book "How to build your own metal working machines for fun and profit" by Will Cronkrite.
I think we have all been down that road where we thought we could do it cheaper than we could buy it, but its hard to put a price on being able to say "I did that myself". Not that it means much, but I was impressed at all the machines you built yourself....almost as much as I was at what Peter could do with a hammer and a stump.