Thread: C5 gto
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 02:42 PM

OK. Bob wrote:"All I'm suggesting is that it is better to use the principals of physics to your advantage than to ignore them. "
Ignore them?
You are saying that attaching the heat shield to the firewall/panel is better. Here goes the physics thing. Now the heat shield (which is hot) is now attached to the panel that you are trying to protect. Enter the conduction thing you mentioned. Heat travels from shield through conduction into the firewall/footbox.
I am pretty sure that the auto industry has some engineers that are familiar with the laws of physics. They are laws after all. Metal conducts heat better than air. Best not coonect the heat to something you want cool. Air is a fairly decent heat barrier in itself. Much better than metal. Physics thing again.
Did you ever look at a stainless steel vacuum bottle? Now how does that work? It is one piece of stainless steel with the air evacuated from inside the chamber. It works because stainless steel is a very poor conductor of heat. The vacuum won't allow heat transfer through air from interior to exterior wall so the temperature variable must travel through the metal from the inside to the outside. It doesn't do that efficiently so you have a decent thermos that won't break if you drop it.
That is the end of my discussion on heat shields. Joel can/will decide the best approach for his situation. He appears to be a very capable individual. I am impressed with what I have seen of his project. Nice work Joel!

TuckPuck® Metal Shaping Tools
www.tuckpuck.com