Thread: Drip Rails?
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2018, 07:28 AM
MetalShaper of the month Feb.-11, July - 2018, Sept. 2020

A continuing follow up to this drip rail fabrication, what has shown to be my nemesis in making an accurate replacement. What I have experienced was that forming a drip rail with the bead roller tends to distort in the process of rolling through where the part doesn't remain straight lengthwise. Some of the pictures above show a slight arc gets added to length of the part. Just to clarify where this is situated, this is welded along the outside of the A-pillar on the full size Jeep Cherokee, with the tail comprising part of the windshield opening.

After looking at some of Steve Hamilton's Pullmax dies this past week at Redneck Roundup, I think eliminating the deformity can be best addressed by making dies for the Lennox (Pullmax). Here's what we started with, a section of 18 gauge (to match OEM) and folded the lip that will form the outside face of the drip rail..

Next, a die is used to add the joggle seen at the bottom, and a clamped-on guide prevents the flange from wanting to move skyward.

Next operation is to add the slight bit of radius to the front face of the drip rail. Here's our die configuration for this step..

Shown here with the original cross-section piece...

....to be continued.

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

McCartney Paint and Custom YouTube channel