View Single Post
Old 09-08-2018, 09:35 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
Corking good process, Cliff.
If those production numbers were low, then some shop guys likely bunged them out in some fashion, as you have done so well with your recipe.
Good cookin'!

Another random photo for you...
Attachment 48702
Thanks for the pic, Kent.

I wondered about original production process. I think I have record of at least 5 or 6 different profile patterns, which would seem impractical to tool for such low production. But the few original ones I have personally owned and/or handled (most decades ago) all had numerous identical long, perfectly straight vertical scratches on outside of the bottom half like they had been pressed in one motion. Some consistent ruffling is also often present, usually on the versions that have a bottom with an angled instead of vertical circular perimeter wall. Been thinking about how to replicate both of those details, but not a priority right now.

Measuring up materials, I have enough metal to make another lid and bottom that can be as nice as the top half. both were experiments and easily could be done better now, especially with better corking tools for some of the finishing.

I do have a welding question- Gas Welding splits in this 24g using trimmed strips for filler isn't working well. Even when I produce a decent looking weld/puddle/tack on the top, the backside is no good. Looks like the typical slag caused when the puddle effervesses a lot even though it hasn't obviously boiled on the topside. Is this likely an issue caused by using the parent crs as filler, contamination or something else? Any sound bead produced is much harder & more brittle than the parent metal and has some straw or copper-colored splotches when I grind them.

Seems like problems caused by too much heat, but I've not been able to reduce heat & still produce a weld.

The parent metal has had a lot of hammering and is so thin that I didn't sand it hard before welding. I expect that's part of the problem, too. This part was thoroughly abused even before I started welding. now it's becoming impractical to use or save but is providing good instruction opportunity.

Any input?