View Single Post
Old 09-04-2018, 03:39 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

[Quote]

Both of my repair parts, will be painted again and it is up to the painter guy, to fix if need be.

Bill first of all, let me tell you that you have done extremely well to get that panel to that stage............. I am impressed!
If you need... or like to go further with the finish, this is what I personally would do. Clean the panel from any grease or oil, then wipe or paint some engineering blue on it, use a soft block (not too soft but not hard either) that will allowed you to wrap your hands around the shape, use 120 grit sand paper (DRY)+spread and use soap on the panel , sand the panel down a few square inches at the time, look out, or feel for high spots FIRST! then ..try to elevate the low spots with a polished flipper (not a hammer) by tapping any highs spots down, once that is done simply feel the panel with some masking paper on you hands, that will allow you to feel the most difficult irregularity which are hard to see or otherwise feel. once that is done all over the panel there should be very little blue left on the lows, after this paint the surface again with blue, and do the same thing BUT.... this time use a higher grit paper for example ...240 grit. (It's up to you to decide when to stop) but the same procedure can be done again over and over with higher grit paper till the ally start to shine. By the pics you have the panel in pretty good shape, there is no need to use a file at any time
IF any panel like that was to be polished (not painted) I would strongly suggest to make a new one, simply because of the time factor to repair it to that standard, plus you need to keep in mind the thickness of the metal, the unwanted holes you would need to fix, corrosion etc ...In another words it be quicker to make a new one, and by keeping your top wheel and lower anvils clean at all time with acetone, by the time the panel is finished it will be 90% polished
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM