View Single Post
Old 03-12-2016, 05:38 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

The bottom of the front wall needs to be replaced.

I cut the rusty bottom out and replaced it with some steel tubing I had. It will be stronger than the channel that was there before.

Cut out and then folded up some replacement floor supports.

I noticed it was a little out of square so pulled it into alignment with a 4 ton ratchet strap. You have to go a bit over square to account for the spring back when the pressure is off.

The sides bowed out some so left the clamp in place while I measured and then fitted the supports. I am welding them directly to the old ends so its keeps the factory setup. The longer front ones are because the inner reinforcement pieces were left full length so as not to weaken them.

All new supports welded in.

Everything zinc coated before the floor goes in.

Floor fitted perfectly first go! Now to weld it in which will be only done from the underside. Some 250 plug welds!

I tacked in the floor from underneath in a few places before flipping it over some steel trestles. I drilled through the plug holes I had prepared to clean the coating off ready for welding. Then vacuumed all the swarf up so none was left between the supports and the floor.

I moved the trestles around under where I was welding so I could press down on the support pushing the floor hard against them. Started in the centre and worked my way outwards from there. Never work from the edge to the middle as can end up with excess metal and a bow. Just got the very front joint to fully weld now to finish off the floor.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.